We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel challenges

Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel challenges

We would really like to go to Bonaire, however I am finding it extremly challenging to find flights from the Midwest to Bonaire. What I do find is extremly expensive, close to $1,000 a person. I am up for suggestions, such as flighing into Aruba staying a couple of days then heading over Bonaire. We only get to be gone a week, so I always carefully plan our trip, which will be next January. Does anyone have any suggestions? Aruba really isn't on my bucket list, but I may have to do that just to get to Bonaire. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Creston, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel challenges

Check for flights to Curacao, when we went that was the cheapest

Venice, Fl
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel challenges

We fly from Miami to Curaçao on American and then Divi Divi to Bonaire because we go for 11 days. For a week, we fly delta from Atlanta to Bonaire.

Shelbyville, KY
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel challenges

I'm in the same boat (plane). We are trying to fly to Bonaire in June and it's next to impossible. We live near Louisville Ky, but can also drive to Lexington or Cincinnati pretty easily. Every fare I find is ridiculous. The Delta flight is $1600 per person. United has some but the travel time(including layovers) is 15-26 hours which isn't doable for our family of 4. We REALLY want to go to Bonaire because we love to snorkel, but I'm about to give up. I'll be following this thread for any help or suggestions. Thanks!

Edited: 18 April 2012, 19:11
Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
New England
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel challenges

The above link has information on a variety of ways to get to Bonaire. It has never been easy to get there but the diving and snorkeling make it all worthwhile.

We prefer to fly American to Miami and then Curaçao and then Divi to Bonaire. If you only have a week the United flights are good as long as you are not trying to go in Sept when they suspend service.

Dover, Delaware
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel challenges

Airfares are a mess this year. For MrsFarmer, don't sweat it now since it is a real long time until January. I never book our December trip (on Delta) before the end of summer; just watch and wait (and hope things change). For your June trip from Kentucky, that strategy won't work much longer so check out flying to one of the other islands and then hop over. Just watch your allowable bag limits on the little interisland planes. You might also check out the direct Insel flights from Miami; do your homework first and read both positive and negative stories about these flights. Best of luck.

Level Contributor
5,944 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel challenges

Plug in your dates on www.yapta.com and get notified when the rates rise and fall..mid west travelers would do best taking the Friday or Sat. night red eye from Houston on United. They offer the best rates and the most direct flights.

Edited: 19 April 2012, 23:00
7. Re: Travel challenges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 15:18