We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather and snorkeling from shore

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Weather and snorkeling from shore

Hello, I am looking for our next snorkel adventure. We visited Curacao the first week of April this year and had a wonderful time. I don't necessarily need the white sand beach but entering the water from shore is a must - we like to venture out on our own. A snorkel excusion is not out of the question either as well as a discover scuba. Can anyone comment on the weather in March/April, We didn't need shorties to snorkel in Curaco. Also, entry from shore OK? and one last thing....are the mosquitoes and no-seeums? really as bad as I've read? seasonal? we slept with the patio door open - no screen - without a bite the entire week and never once was bothered by sand fleas on Curacao.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,335 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather and snorkeling from shore

We traveled to Curacao and Bonaire last December. We found the mosquitoes much worse on Curacao than on Bonaire, although there were some on Bonaire as well.

I'm guessing it's a seasonal issue. It rained quite a bit while we were on Curacao.

Literally dozens of off shore snorkel sites on Bonaire.

We liked Bonaire so well, we're returning this December.

New England
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather and snorkeling from shore

Bonaire is only a 20 minute plane ride from Curaçao so the weather will be very much like what you experienced.

Bonaire is famous for its shore diving/snorkeling with over 60 marked sites and many more unmarked. Check out the book Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy by Susan Porter at www.bsdme.info. It is written for both snorkelers and divers and has descriptions of entries and exits, the underwater terrain and also rates each site as to whether or not it is good for snorkeling, easy of entry, etc.

Some great snorkel excursions include the Woodwind

www.woodwindbonaire.com/

Renee snorkel trips

www.infobonaire.com/reneesnorkeltrips/

Windows to the sea mangrove kayak and snorkel

www.clearbottombonaire.com/

And another great link if you wanted guided snorkels or discover scuba

www.latinadivers.com/pros.html. La Tina means bathtub -- a nod to the warm clear waters!

We have never been bothered by sand fleas and rarely by Mosquitos no matter what time of year. It is always a good idea to spray your legs before going to dinner because sometimes they hide under tables at dusk!

Hope this helps.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,397 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather and snorkeling from shore

Both Jean and BlueWater are right on, but I'll add a couple of comments.

Although most shore entries in Bonaire are shore entries, the shore is mostly broken up coral, rocks and ironstone. Some form of watershoes/booties with open heel fins are highly recommended.

We've been to Bonaire in both Jan/Feb and April/May and the number of mosquitoes is highly dependent on the amount of recent rainfall: lots of rain means lots of puddles and mosquito breeding grounds. Unfortunately, this is largely unpredictable. March and April will normally be relatively dry, but we hve seen it wet then also. The mosquitoes don't bother me very much (too much hair on arms and legs I guess) but they really love my wife, so she uses insect repellent in the evenings. Never had a problem with sand fleas in Bonaire.

Although you can certainly go snorkeling on your own, some of the tours/excursions (Woodwind) and guides (Renee) are so good that I suggest doing a guided tour of some kind initially just to help get the "lay of the land". Then you will feel more confident going out on your own.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather and snorkeling from shore

thank you all for your comments. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Next question....do any of you have a favorite place to stay? We'd love to have a kitchen area as we like to eat in breakfast and pack lunches and even maybe eat in a dinner or two. We found our place on Curacao through VRBO and it worked out wonderfully. I have seen glowing reviews for the Coral Paradise Resort and the Hotel Restaraunt Roomer but not opposed to a privately owned dwelling either.

New England
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather and snorkeling from shore

Coral Paradise does get excellent reviews and is close to a great dive site -- Cliff. Another lovely small property close to town is Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn. He fills quickly however. www.caribinn.com

We like Ocean View Villas http://www.oceanviewvillas.com Not on the water but very close. Really reasonable and quite spacious. i have 2 reviews here on TA. This is where we stay when going for more than a week.

Deep Blue View is a beautiful bed and breakfast with a great dive shop. They have a guest refrigerator for storing food and the breakfasts that Esther makes are delicious. www.deepblueview.com This is where we stay when going for short trips.

www.infobonaire.com has lots of options for rentals also.

Creston, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather and snorkeling from shore

We stayed at this private rental http://www.homeaway.ca/cottage-rental/p527639 Also not on the water, but only a few blocks from the cliff, in a quiet residential area of Hato, very clean and resonable rates

Houston
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather and snorkeling from shore

Been to Bonaire 5 times & have stayed at coral paradise 4 out of 5; they weren't I'm existence for my first trip! The owners are fantabulous! The room has the basics including fully functioning kitchen. I've seen some complain that it's not luxurious; if you're looking for the ritz this isn't your place. If you are looking for an affordable place that has everything you need & owners who are always ready to answer ANY questions in a friendly manner book it!

Further as far as snorkeling; lots of places right off the beach. However just getting back from my trip last month I would recommend Brenda at www.h2obonairevisions.com for snorkel or island tours. I've always done things without a guide before; after spending one day with her I have to tell you I'm ashame at all I have missed on my other trips! Knowledgeable & friendly. She's a fish magnet too! She is a certified dive master as well so I believe she could help you with any dive questions as well or at least get you to the right person who could help!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,263 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather and snorkeling from shore

I know this is an old post, but just in case anyone pulls it up in a search...

some of the best shore snorkeling I did was in front of Coral Paradise (well, Captain Don's which is in front of Coral Paradise). And, it's an easy entry either off Captain Don's dock, or the small beach at the foot of the steps to the right of Captain Don's with the sea in front of you.

I have full foot fins - which make the entry over the ironshore rougher than if I had booties and strap on fins, but I like my fins! I would walk in with reef shoes, put my fins on, then throw the reef shoes ashore. Not optimum....

After Bonaire, I went to my local dive shop to explore the other option, but I wasnt happy with the feel and fit of those massive 1/2 fins. My goal is to travel in carryon, which no fins seem to allow, but I dont want to go bigger and bulkier!

suitcaseready.com

9. Re: Weather and snorkeling from shore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 18:15