We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Truck Rental Agency

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Truck Rental Agency

Telerin Car Rental comes highly recommended but they are sold out for our dates. Does anyone have a back-up agency they like? Trying to rent a truck for our trip in a couple of weeks (I know, it was sort of last minute). Thanks!

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Truck Rental Agency

I just reserved a truck for 11/22 (flying in from Curacao just for the day) from AB Car Rental. They were very prompt and helpful.

New England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Truck Rental Agency

Our favorite is Telerin but we have also had good experiences with AB. They are not on-site at the airport but will pick you up and take you to their office. They have always been prompt, courteous and responsible for check-in, check-out and if any problems have arisen (such as the year our muffler pipe fell off!). Be sure to take the insurance policy no matter which agency you choose.

salsa savant
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Truck Rental Agency

If youi have insurance that covers car rentals with your VISA (credit card) do you still need to get the insurance from the rental agents? Does anyone have experience with this?

New England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Truck Rental Agency

If you rent a truck your credit card will not cover the insurance. I do not know the answer concerning cars in Bonaire as we always rent trucks for ease of carrying dive gear. If you have an AMEX you can purchase a rider that costs an additional 20 dollars each time you rent a vehicle and that does cover trucks in Bonaire. However, not all of the agencies there accept AMEX.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Truck Rental Agency

Dunfer that is the same day we are flying in but at 8pm. All these add on taxes and fees are really annoying. Some places offer "free" pickup to and from the airport but then charge an airport convenience fee or a local charge or something extra. Getting in so late and leaving so early is proving a challenge logistically.

New England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Truck Rental Agency

jungledriver -- some of the companies do the fees as an add on and some build it into their costs. The airport charges fees for them to do business there which is no different than what happens here in the US at some airports. The government taxes are also an add on for vehicle rentals, lodging, food and goods. I know it makes it annoying when trying to compare prices of vehicles but one thing we have found over the years is that when you figure it all out they are all actually quite close with the final charge. The car rental agencies follow the flights closely and open their offices accordingly so arriving late and leaving early are not usually an issue for them.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Truck Rental Agency

thanks bluewaterdiva, I guess we'll just go the easy route with pick up and drop off at the airport.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Truck Rental Agency

Jungledriver, based on our experience, using the airport based rental agencies may not be the fastest or easiest... The problem is that the airport facilities are so small and understaffed that it can take a long time to get or return a car. For example, on our last trip we rented from Hertz, on the airport. They had one person in the rental booth doing everything. The rental paperwork is largely manual and each vehicle mush be 'inspected' for damage prior to rental, so each rental transaction takes 10 - 15 minutes to complete. If you are 3rd or 4th in line, you will be there (in the sun) for a while. When we have rented from AB the two previous trips, they were off-airport, so it did require a taxi/van rid to their offices, but the office is closer to town, so it's probably not a completely "wasted" trip. Their offices are shady and cool and there are several people on hand so each rental takes less time. So, on average, renting from AB actually took less total time than renting from the on-airport Hertz agency.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for Truck Rental Agency

When I made my reservations with AB, I was told they would meet us at the airport and take us to their office. No taxi necessary.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for Truck Rental Agency

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. My husband said he wanted a Jeep but of the agents I've contacted, no one has availability for our days. All of them have been extremely responsive (Total, Voyager, Rento) and the others who have given me quotes for trucks (AB, Everts). The thing I'm worried about is that we don't land until 8:15pm. So will AB pick us up and let us take the truck that night? Also need to figure out if we'll need to stop and grab a few groceries and when and where to have dinner.