We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights during low season

Save Topic
Flights during low season

We are looking to travel to Bonaire in mid-September and it seems very hard to get prices and flight info on the travel websites like Orbitz and Expedia.

And from Buffalo NY it says we have three legs and 15 hrs of travel time.

Any advice or info on securing flights will be appreciated. Thanks!

Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights during low season

Some of the carriers, like United, change their schedule during the off season and don't fly to Bonaire between August and October. Many also fly out during on Friday night with a red eye or Saturday morning and don't offer wid week flights. Kayak is a good site to use for airfare prices and schedules.

New England
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights during low season

According to sources on the island, United may keep flights through September this year. United and Delta fly to Bonaire on weekends only. Insel also flys from Miami and Charlotte but gets very poor reviews for service and reliability. Our preference is to fly American from Miami to Curacao as this flight operates daily. From Curacao you can fly Divi air to Bonaire.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights during low season

I think United is only keeping the Houston flights through the Fall, but not the Newark schedule.

Save Reply
4. Re: Flights during low season

Thanks everybody!

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights during low season

We like the Saturday Delta flights to Bonaire via Atlanta, because we can't handle the United redeye flights via Houston. The upside for you is that you should be able to fly BUF-ATL-BON, which is only two flight legs. The downside is that it would probably require and overnight stop in Atlanta going both directions. I.e. you'd leave BUF on Friday evening and return the following Sunday.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights during low season

I don't know what connections you have from Buffalo. I was lucky enough to get a direct flight to Aruba and used an inter island service to get to Bonaire. Bonaire is one place where I might look into a reliable travel agent to help with flights. There are other options available that won't be listed on Expedia and some of the other sites. However, if you are not travelling out of a major airport, you may be looking at three legs.

Check Delta on a Saturday to Saturday trip through Atlanta too.

Save Reply
7. Re: Flights during low season

We ended up going with the Sat Delta flights thru Atlanta. The fastest (2 legs) way to get there and not rely on Insel. Thanks everyone for the info...I wouldn't have found our flights just using orbitz etc.

New England
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights during low season

Glad it worked out for you! Last summer our daughter and son-in-law came to visit us at our place in Bonaire and used Delta. It worked out well for them. You arrive on the island at a very reasonable hour and when yo leave you still have a full morning to enjoy the island. A tip for departure day -- the check in line can be very long. If you get there early you have time to check in and then walk across the street to Donkey Beach for a little more time near the beautiful water before heading back through security.

Have fun and be sure to post a trip report!

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights during low season

I'm glad you found what you wanted. I looked at the Atlanta flight when I was planning my vacation, It was just too much money in May. It was going to cost $1200 pp, where the Air Tran & Tierra came to about $650 pp.

The island is small and laid-back, but I enjoyed every minute of it. I hope you do the same.

10. Re: Flights during low season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 05:16