We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Bonaire dead in September.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
20 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Is Bonaire dead in September.

My husband and I are considering a trip to Bonaire in September from the UK. We are both divers (and amateur windsurfers) so that is the main purpose of the trip but I am a bit worried about restaurants and bars closing down in September and things being a bit dead socially.

We usually head east for our diving (asia) but fancied something different for a change. I accept you don't go to Bonaire to party but we are a child free couple and do like to go out. Are we making a mistake coming in August. We're thinking of staying at Divi Flamingo so we can walk to town.

Any thoughts or feedback on whether things do shut down would be appreciated.

Thanks.

New England
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Bonaire dead in September.

You mention both August and September in your post so I am a bit unclear when you are planning to go. I have been there in both months, as well as others. In August and September the winds often die down a bit making the shore entries sometimes easier but the trade off is hotter weather. Some restaurants close for vacation but not all and the dedicated dive resorts such as Divi, Buddy, Habitat maintain full operation. One plus is that the dive sites have fewer divers and the restaurants fewer patrons. I prefer August and September to the winter months and even July because of the lack of crowds but that may not be you. Divi is a good choice for convenience to town, especially if you want to walk.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Bonaire dead in September.

If you want to focus on diving, August and Sept would be good... hot, but good. But if you want to work on your windsurfing (and Bonaire is a great place for that), August and Sept is not so good. The trade winds typically drop sometime in August and are low through most or all of Dec. This will vary somewhat, but I wouldn't count on much good windsurfing from about mid-August through most of Dec. There may be occasional days that are reasonable so you could dive most days then head for Lac Bay (and windsurfing) when the wind does pick up. When the wind is not blowing, it will be feel hot, especially I suspect, for someone from the British Isles.

For a first visit and what you are looking for, as Bluewater says, the Divi would be a good choice: a dive shop available on-site and walking distance to lots of good restaurants.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Bonaire dead in September.

Were the same as you, usually go to Asia for diving but after Thailand this year we wanted to try something different and have been playing with the idea of Bonaire for a few years, so we've booked 22nd September for 2 weeks with 10 days unlimited diving really looking forward to it, 11 weeks today :-)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
20 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Bonaire dead in September.

Thanks for the feedback. We have actually changed our minds and decided to do a liveaboard elsewhere. We are committed to going to Bonaire though but have decided to go at a different time of year. Scubawitch, I would love to know how you get on and how you find it.

5. Re: Is Bonaire dead in September.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Bonaire