We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

minneapolis, mn
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

trying to get the best airfare to Bonaire in Feb. and CheapoAir.com has an Insel Air flight from Charlotte to Curacao and Curacao on to Bonaire, but the problem for me is the layover time in Curacao. The flight from Charlotte arrives in Curacao at 8PM and then leaves for Bonaire at 8:45 PM. My question is do I have to disembark from that flight because a 45 min. layover can't possibly be enough time to go through customs and reboard.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
552 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

mgh,

I flew Charlotte to Bonaire through Curacao in May without any problem. Booked the flight using Insel Air's website, initially the layover was about 2 hours but the flight from Curacao to Bonaire changed and the layover was less than an hour. We had no problem making the flight because it was held or delayed (not sure which), most of the people on the flight to Curacao came off the flight from Charlotte. I understand your concern and hope you have no issues making your connecting flight.

Cheers!

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

Is there a ferry to Bonaire from Curaçao? I am also looking at flying out of Charlotte and the price from CLT to CUR is several hundred dollars cheaper.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

There is no boat type ferry; it would be a somewhat long ferry trip and could be rather rough at times. There is frequent air service via Insel, Divi, and one other local air service which I cannot remember the name of... (I'm sure others will help my memory).

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

When we went last year we didn't have to go through C/I in Curacao. We went upstairs and used the in transit line but our bags did have to be scanned there. Now I think there is an additional departure tax as well. We were literally only on the ground in Curacao for about 20 minutes. I'm surprised our checked bags made it. We didn't get to Bonaire until about 10pm. On the way home our flight was delayed in Curacao about 45 minutes but otherwise the flight was fine. In CLT since you will be connecting, you grab your bags from carousel A then go through C/I in CLT and then have to go through security again to get to your next gate so allow enough time for that. Plus, Insel only flies on Saturdays which is the busiest day of the week for CLT.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

Yes, when just transiting in Curacao (definitely on Insel, probably on others) you go through a double glass door into the building and make an immediate right turn and go up the stairs you will see. Once up on the upper floor you will have to go through a very quick security check and then you will be in the departure lounge area. This is how it was this past Jan/Feb but if they are collecting departure tax now, it may have changed. In any case, the key is to go to you right as soon as you enter the building and up the stairs.

New England
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

There are, however, exceptions to the above. If you are flying the same airline through to Bonaire and are ticketed all the way through (such as on Insel) then you are able to use the transit lounge/security. However, if you are flying American Airlines to Curacao and have reservations on Divi or one of the other local carriers you do not head to the transit area as described above. You need to complete the Curacao Immigration form (stating you are in transit to Bonaire), go through Immigration, collect your bags, go through Customs and then proceed to the Divi counter (ground level) to pay for your ticket, check your bags and get your boarding pass. You then pay your departure tax, go through security, surrender the Customs form and then proceed to the gate. The same in reverse when leaving as you will need to check in with the American desk (not the gate agent) on the return.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

Very good point BlueWater... I suspect that if you have to pick up your luggage and recheck at a different airline, then you will have to go through full customs process. We did our airline change in Aruba and were in and out of Curacao on Insel so it was simple.

minneapolis, mn
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

we're scheduled to arrive on Insel Air from Charlotte and then on to Bonaire (also on Insel Air) so I'm just hoping that we'll still make the connecting flight in 45 minutes.

Myrtle Beach SC
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

We are on the same flight and wondering if anyone has flown this tight layover since they started collecting departure tax..Thanks!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
26 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

We were on this flight and only paid $10 tax when we left Curacao for Bonaire. We stayed one night in Curacao when returning to Charlotte. On the way to Bonaire we made the connection to the Bonaire flight by asking to get in the front of the security check line. We enjoyed the extra food and drink service on Insel Airlines. The flight attendants served food and picked up trash for the entire flight. What an improvement over US airline service. And Bonaire was our favorite Caribbean island.