We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

minneapolis, mn
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

trying to get the best airfare to Bonaire in Feb. and CheapoAir.com has an Insel Air flight from Charlotte to Curacao and Curacao on to Bonaire, but the problem for me is the layover time in Curacao. The flight from Charlotte arrives in Curacao at 8PM and then leaves for Bonaire at 8:45 PM. My question is do I have to disembark from that flight because a 45 min. layover can't possibly be enough time to go through customs and reboard.

Annapolis, Maryland
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

i have been reading about insel air and it seems that they have improved over the last 2 years. going to bonaire in july and looking to take this route. Any thoughts.....so many reviews were horrific!

anne

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

Hi, we are traveling Insel to Bonaire thru CUR in early June. I was told that the departure tax is paid thru. I am curious about food served? Do we need to bring a snack? The flight is 4PM to 9PM. So too early for dinner before hand.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

We are doing this next summer - arriving on American, then flying on to Bonaire on Insel. We have about 1.5 hours. Do you think that will be enough time? We could book a much later flight on Insel, but that wouldn't get us to Bonaire until late. Our seats on AA are up front, so we'll be one of the first in the immigration line in Curacao. Thanks for any input!

New England
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

Travelingfam, upon arrival in Curacao on American you will need to clear immigration, get your luggage, clear customs, leave the arrivals area, check in with Insel, clear security and customs and then get to your gate. Our experiences have led us to now leave a three hour connection window when using American to Curacao and then another airline to Bonaire. There are several large flights that arrive at the same time as the American and the lines at immigration can be very long when that happens. Last summer American, United and KLM all arrived within 15 minutes of each other and the lines were backed up onto the stairways. Also, we like to use Divi between Curacao and Bonaire as we feel that they have a much better on-time record, which is very important when trying to make a connection back to the States.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

Thanks for the advice, bluewaterdiva! We'll revise our connections to allow for more time. And I will look in to Divi instead. Happy Holidays.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

A45 min connection time in Curaçao is fine. As you are transiting, you must only go through security one you land and you are in the departure area for your next flight. Proceed to gate 7.

New England
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

Sorry, JohnStPete, but Travelingfam is arriving in Curacao on AA and departing on a different airline and therefore cannot use the in transit gate as they will need to check in with their connecting airline which happens on the ground floor, not the transit area. Additionally, AA will off load their luggage but not transfer it to their connecting airline. If they were flying Insel from the States and then connecting on Insel they could use the transit area. We fly AA to Curacao multiple times a year and then connect to Bonaire on Divi and always allow three hours because we need to follow the procedure I outlined above. 45 minutes is not enough time.

DeputyDan
Level Contributor
72 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

We have done the AA to Curacao Divi Divi to Bonaire multiple times.

When you arrive in Curacao you are starting over as a passenger when you change airlines.

We have never has an issue with Divi Divi

19. Re: Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2016, 05:15