We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this sound right?

Port Orchard...
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Does this sound right?

I have been looking at orbitz for the last 5 hours trying to book a vacation package from Seattle, wa to bonaire from fri nov 29 to fri dec 6....and while orbitz came up with 1446.00(I'm a solo traveler)....to me, 1446 sounded good and so when I attempted to book it, orbitz then said that flight was no longer available and to please select another flight.......and so I kept selecting and selecting and selecting....orbitz keeps telling me every flight is no longer avail....I then called orbitz and the guy said the same thing...

And so, I then asked if he could check the next week(Fri dec 6 thru fri dec 13) and he said that all the flights on that time frame is booked too....

And so, I read that it's the low season right now(up until mid December)...is it really this hard to visit bonaire?

I do know the local government makes it extremely hard for tourist by limiting the days that I can fly into and out of bonaire...I'm kind of thinking the airline service program may be down or is it possible all flights in a two week span into bonaire are full?

Port Orchard...
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this sound right?

Oh, the 1446 price quote was for the Edan beach resort

New England
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this sound right?

The Bonaire government does not limit the days the airlines can fly into Bonaire, the airlines make that choice based on supply and demand. Delta flies once a week from Atlanta and United only flies weekends from Houston and Newark, so yes, those flights could be full or could be charging "top dollar" if there are only a few seats left.

Another option is to fly American Airlines from Miami to Curacao. There are two flights a day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. You would then need to take a local airline to Bonaire. Divi is the most reliable but does not fly after dark so you would need to be on the morning flight from Miami. Otherwise you would need to overnight in Curacao or use a different carrier, most of which are not very reliable.

I would also suggest using the airline websites directly and not Orbitz as they may show different availability.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
832 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this sound right?

You might want to search for departing on Friday and returning on Saturday. United flies out of Houston and Newark really late (11:59 pm) on Friday nights, and returns on Saturday morning (flight leaves Bonaire at maybe 7-8 AM). Only one flight a week at that time of year. Flights on the 29th returning on the 7th look about half full. Airfare is in the $750-$900 range.

minneapolis, mn
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this sound right?

forget orbitz, try cheapoair.com

Port Orchard...
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does this sound right?

Thanks everyone for the input and for notifying me that it's the airlines and not the government that is the pain in my side:)

But after all this, I've decided just to go to curaçao.....

I just got back from Provo on The Turks and Caicos Islands and wanted to do bonaire, but I think I'll love Curaçao too...

I might even catch a local flight to bonaire once I'm there....

Again, thanks everyone:)

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
26 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does this sound right?

Insel air flies directly to Curacao from Charlotte on Saturdays

7. Re: Does this sound right?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 06:25
Get answers to your questions about Bonaire