We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for renting villas on Bonaire

upstate NY
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for renting villas on Bonaire

Do not rent from Bonaire Oceanfront Villas! They will say anything to make a sale then provide zero customer service once they have your money. We rented Cas Chogogo from them in July and the experience was a nightmare.

Also, if you are interested in renting a villa from anyone on Bonaire - do yourself a favor and get rental insurance. It's well worth the extra money. We found out the hard way that regular travel insurance does not cover rental properties.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
956 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for renting villas on Bonaire

Tokoladdy:

You bring up a good point about checking as to whether the travel insurance covers issues with rental properties or not. However, it does seem like you have an issue with a single site that you extended to an entire island - which is unfair, in my opinion, since so many people (myself included) have had excellent experiences with their Bonaire villa rentals. Perhaps you could be fair and post your good advice on every forum, not just the Bonaire forum?

I also read your posts - I would be surprised if ANY insurance policy would cover a rental as "uninhabitable" when the A/C doesn't work.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
302 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for renting villas on Bonaire

Most travel insurance policies are intended to insure against unexpected trip cancellation, not dissatisfaction with the property or management company once you arrive at your destination. That's why travel insurance typically only covers forfeited nonrefundable payments due to sickness, injury, weather, natural disaster and other unforeseen events.

We've been visiting Bonaire for 16 years and have stayed at a variety of properties without experiencing any problems that warrant additional vacation rental insurance. The suggestion that it should be recommended for visitors "renting a villa from anyone on Bonaire" seems a little over the top.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for renting villas on Bonaire

VRBO.com provides trip insurance if the rental is not as advertised. We rented from Happy Holiday Homes, the oceanfront villa and could not have been more pleased. The only thing we missed was that there was no wifi. There is a land line connection that we could not use with our iPad. It requires a lap top. But I missed that in the description so no fault of HHH. Louise was a gem to work with.

upstate NY
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for renting villas on Bonaire

Don't get me wrong, we love Bonaire and have been back again since our bad experience. Having never rented a vacation property before we were just very naive. We just stay at Harbour Village now.

5. Re: Tips for renting villas on Bonaire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2014, 05:17