We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where stay want best snorkeling right off the beach

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where stay want best snorkeling right off the beach

Where to stay in Bonaire? Main requirement: great (not just good)snorkeling right off the beach/shore in front of the place we stay. Main thing we are interested in going for is the snorkeling.

A beach would be great but as long as there is a pool or somewhere to lay while I am taking a break reading but hubby is out snorkeling so I can watch him (worries me for him to be out snorkeling by self and no one to make sure nothing happens).

Would like a balcony or porch - don't want to be hemmed in when in the room. Gotta have ocean view. Going first of January - is AC a necessity then?

Prefer to not be in a large crowded place. We like to be off the beaten path of tourism if possible.

Will drive to different spots for snorkeling but also want the convenience of a great snorkel where we stay.

How is the Sand Dollar and how is snorkeling from beach of it?

Our interests: snorkeling, exploring an island, snorkeling. Shopping and fine dining are of no interest to me.

We are going to Aruba for a convention but first want to stay in Bonaire for a few days. In Aruba we're staying at the Hyatt Regency. Prefer not to stay in place like this in Bonaire.

Normally like to find quirky little place away from the crowds and resort atmosphere -- we like nice but doesn't have to be fancy. We find we get a better feel for an area if we stay away from bigger resorts. But in Bonaire will make an exception to our general rule if it is necessary.

Restaurant onsite is not necessary if there is a little kitchen to make own breakfast and lunch. No problem driving to dinner.

Not looking to go "on a budget" so not interested in budget accommodations that do not meet the ocean front and snorkeling requirements.

Also, suggestions on transportation to/from Bonaire?

Any other hints/suggestions about Bonaire?

Sorry so long but trying to be specific.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where stay want best snorkeling right off the beach

Where to stay in Bonaire?

All properties on the water have good snorkeling..honestly..the entire island is a reef and most ocean front properties have access into the sea.

A beach would be great but as long as there is a pool or somewhere to lay while I am taking a break reading but hubby is out snorkeling so I can watch him (worries me for him to be out snorkeling by self and no one to make sure nothing happens).

Most hotels and ocean front properties have pools.

Would like a balcony or porch - don't want to be hemmed in when in the room. Gotta have ocean view. Going first of January - is AC a necessity then?

AC is not needed unless you like to be cold. All oceanfront properties will have a porch or balcony unless you choose a side or back unit.

Prefer to not be in a large crowded place. We like to be off the beaten path of tourism if possible.

Bonaire is quiet..12k people live there..so NO WORRIES.

Will drive to different spots for snorkeling but also want the convenience of a great snorkel where we stay.

The island has over 80 shore dives..many of them wonderful for snorkeling..

How is the Sand Dollar and how is snorkeling from beach of it?

My friends live there and I send clients there. Nice basic property. Some units better than others. Pool and tennis on site. Nice house reef for snorkeling.

Our interests: snorkeling, exploring an island, snorkeling. Shopping and fine dining are of no interest to me.

We have GREAT DINING..not to miss...

Also, suggestions on transportation to/from Bonaire?

Rent a truck or car..everyone does..

I have many hints..specifically for what please.

Ann Phelan

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where stay want best snorkeling right off the beach

Thank you for all the advice. I will hop back on as questions arise.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where stay want best snorkeling right off the beach

Ann,

You still there? Ended up booking at the Plaza on Bonaire. Not what we usually look for but the beach sold us. Next question:

We are going to a convention in Aruba but are first making a side trip to Bonaire. Help please with flight advice.

Going to: We are flying into Aruba via USAir on Saturday, Jan. 13 (arrive at 2pm) and want to then travel on to Bonaire the same day.

Coming back: We want to leave Bonaire for Aruba on Friday, January 19 (any time for flight is fine).

Help! Can I do this - are there flights on these days? Also, which airline would you suggest?

Clarksville, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where stay want best snorkeling right off the beach

You will not be disappointed in the Plaza Resort. I just wrote a review on it. The "beach' is a little rocky when first getting out to dive or snorkle. I suggest that you get the resort certification and dive! It is fabulous everywhere as our expert said. There will be divers at the plaza's beach most of the time....even doing night dives.... I saw a huge tarpon there as well as many shrimp and even a cute little octopus. But....... out in the other parts of the reef you might chance to see a seahorse, scorpionfish or frog fish. There are in about 30 ft of water. I truly loved my visit. Hope you do too.~karen

France
Level Contributor
156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where stay want best snorkeling right off the beach

I have just come back from two weeks in the Maldives and I was most disappointed to find that all the coral on my island (Paradise Island) was dead, following the rise in sea termperature. The sea life was good, but my hobby is snorkelling on coral - in Martinique, Guadeloupe and Cuba, and Antigua, I have found places to snorkel on live coral straight from the beach.

I am a 66 year old English woman, living in France, and travel alone. I am happy with simple accommodation as long as I have a private WC and any kind of food. I do normally like to hire a car and see as much as I can of anywhere I visit - no point in the Maldives, as there is nothing to see on an island less than 1 mile long!

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has knowledge of Bonaire and can advise whether it would be suitable for me. I don't require any night life - I read in bed after dinner, or watch cable TV if it is available.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where stay want best snorkeling right off the beach

Monaco,

Storm Lenny did a reversal in 99 I think it was and damaged a lot of coral. I am a snorkeler and have found some very healthy coral. On the other hand you may be disappointed.

Ann Phelan

France
Level Contributor
156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where stay want best snorkeling right off the beach

Thank you for the advice - I will continue searching for somewhere in the world with good coral - I believe there is some in the South of Florida. I can't afford to visit Australia yet and I believe the coral around Malaysia, where I began my hobby eight years ago, has also been damaged by temperature rise and tourism.

8. Re: Where stay want best snorkeling right off the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Bonaire