We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any tips on selecting items inthe grocery store and currency

Which Kralendijk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
pennsylvania
Level Contributor
680 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
any tips on selecting items inthe grocery store and currency

are all or most of the items Dutch ?

any tips for an American shopping ?

I just read a website that states the offical currency is now

the US Dollar is this correct its not the florin ?

New England
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any tips on selecting items inthe grocery store and currency

In Van den Tweel most of the items are Dutch but are easily recognizeable such as peanut butter, crackers, milk,etc. In Warehouse there are some US brands you will recognize. We often rely on pictures and over the years have learned a few Dutch words. We have also asked store employees or other customers for help when unsure.

The official currency of Bonaire is the US dollar. In addition to the coins you are used to the is a one dollar coin. Pennies are not used.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
680 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any tips on selecting items inthe grocery store and currency

thank you

Gilford, New...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: any tips on selecting items inthe grocery store and currency

If in doubt about an item, ask any of the help or a fellow shopper who is probably Dutch. I've never had any problems with this approach. Just SMILE and ask. You'll find the folks will be glad to assist you.

Oregon
Level Contributor
359 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any tips on selecting items inthe grocery store and currency

Good to know about the currency, as I'm just starting to research the finer details about Bonaire. Hubby and I went to Aruba several years ago and we were frankly shocked at how Americanized the country was. Going to grocery stores in a foreign country is a fun challenge - I agree that pictures usually tell you what you need to know. I'm sure they're used to plenty of American tourists on Bonaire!

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any tips on selecting items inthe grocery store and currency

Despite the official currency being the US dollar, you will find Bonaire much less "Americanized" than Aruba. I generally describe the difference as:

Aruba is the American ideal of a Caribbean Island

Bonaire is the European ideal of a Caribbean island.

I'm sure that is not exactly 100% correct, but if you have been to Europe it should give you an idea of the differences.

Oregon
Level Contributor
359 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any tips on selecting items inthe grocery store and currency

Yes, thank you for the comparison. I understand what you mean. My husband is from Sweden; we have been there and around Europe many times.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any tips on selecting items inthe grocery store and currency

We were asked to show our drivers license at Warehouse when using a credit card. We actually weren't carrying them around with us so had to pay in cash. Also, be sure to drive counter clockwise in the parking lot. We always had a hard time parking there.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
680 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any tips on selecting items inthe grocery store and currency

it was the Deli etc which sent me into a tailspin I ended up buying american products

9. Re: any tips on selecting items inthe grocery store and currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Kralendijk