We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuba in April

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
180 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cuba in April

Need some help.

We went to Varadero 2 years ago in mid March. We are thinking about returning the second week of April this year but am a little under the gun as we just decided last night. We loved Varadero and stayed at Barcelo Solymar, loved the resort. My husband, 11 year old and myself. We would like to try another area of Cuba but don't know where, looking for ideas of both areas and resorts?

Also how is the weather in April? I assume it isn't much different then March but wanted to check?

Looking for a resort to keep us all happy lots of water sports and hopefully a swim up bar??

Any ideas would be helpful

Thanks!

ontario
Level Contributor
175 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuba in April

Hi I was in Cuba about 4 years ago and stayed at Barcelo Solymar too. I was with another girl at the time. We liked it and I would go again except that I want a bit of a change since I am with someone else. We went mid April and that was fantastic for weather.

I have decided on April 21 - 28 and this time it is Tryp Peninsula. I got a good price, and the reviews have been good. I also looked at all the photos here on tripadvisor and I like the way the resort looks. Also the beaches look very good too. So , I am booked already . Maybe you should try it too.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
180 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuba in April

Yes, that resort looks great, that is where we were going to stay last time we went but didn't I would love to go back to Varadero but my husband wants to go to a different area - Holquin or Cayo Coco maybe?

ontario
Level Contributor
175 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuba in April

Well I also considered different areas of Cuba. Thats because my a friend at work books the lowest price resorts and goes to Cuba very cheaply. So he can therefore afford to go back several times during the year. He has been all over and loved it.

I am going back to Varadero because we will probably want to go on a tour to Havana and see the Tropicana show (I think it is still running). Varadero is close enough to Havana for a day trip while other places are a little bit too far for the trip. Otherwise I probably would search out other locals in Cuba.

cornwall,ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cuba in April

yes you should go to the brisas del caribe, it is so amazing

Ont
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cuba in April

Both areas of Holguin and CC are great but very different. I would say that there is more to do in Holguin as the Cayos have no Cubans living there and it is more isolated than the rural countryside of Holguin. We have been to the Blau in Holguin and it has a swim up bar and lots of water sports and amazing snokeling. We have been to the Cayos 3 times and they only place we stayed at there with a swim up bar was the Playa Coco which we also really liked.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cuba in April

Jilliebean

Welcome back to the forum

I have two suggestions one from each location ...

These suggestions are based on the travels of two of my forum friends and I respect their opinions

Picalo - goes with his family (several times) to Melia Cayo Guillermo

He has posted some pictures on his profile.

Looneylou - She goes to Brisas Guardalavaca and she is going soon so ...

Questions can be sent to either and I'm sure they would be happy to respond

Cheers

Mardi

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
180 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cuba in April

Thanks everyone for the info.

We have decided on Holquin simply because of departure dates and flight times.

We are looking at Brisas Guardalavaca or Occidential Grand Playa Turquesa. Any info and feedback on these 2 would be great!

Also is it still best to change our money at the airport in Holquin?

Will we have any trouble bringing walkmans, ipod or a gameboy?

Thanks!

Can't wait to go back!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cuba in April

Jillibean

Also look at the Playa Costa Verde in Holguin.

Lots of watersports to keep you busy, good snorkeling right off the beach (especially down at the Blau end of the beach), swim up bar,

great staff and the Japanese ala carte is awesome :)

9. Re: Cuba in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 04:20