We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money

northants england
Level Contributor
86 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
money

We are going to varadero and dont know whether to take travellers cheques or are there any bank machines (hole in the wall) where you can change money.

We are going to stay at either the Gran caribe Club Puntarena, the plama real or coralia club playa de oro

anyone been to any of these and if so can you let us know what they are like

Havana
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: money

TC's are preferable to ATM. If your ATM card is not MC/VISA labeled it will not work. Even if it is labeled it will not necessarily work at the ATM. Another option is to withdraw cash against a credit card at the bank.

-GC

--

GreatCuba.com - The Collaborative Guide to Cuba.

northants england
Level Contributor
86 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money

thanks we will take tc;s to be on the safe side. do you know anything about the places we might stay. we are going away for my husbands 50th birthday

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money

I was born in Northants - Raunds, in actual fact.

Why are you taking travellers cheques? If you lose them in Cuba you cannot get them replaced until you arrive back in England. Also you will be charged a commission fee when exchanging them so there is little advantage in using them.

You would be better off taking cash, £20 or £50 notes and using your credit card, if necessary, to pay for trips and your debit card to draw cash from a Bank or Cadeca.

I have written several posts on this subject earlier and as all reqular forum posters agree CASH is KING in Cuba.

northants england
Level Contributor
86 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money

we wer'nt going to take tc's as we usually just go to the atm but i understood that many atm dont take the cards perhaps i will just take cash and change it there. do you know anything about the hotels we might go too

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money

Glad you are not taking TC's. You don't need ATM's as you can use your hotel Cadeca to change money or the Banks or Cadecas in Varadero. They will exchange your Sterling and you can also draw cash there on either your debit or credit card on production of your passport and your relevant bank card.

Obviously your bank cards must have no affiliation with any US bank or else they will not be accepted in Cuba.

One useful tip to everyone is to make sure that if your tourist card is still in your passport when you hand it over to the bank cashier make sure it is still there when your passport is returned. It can easily have slipped out. This happened to me on my last visit on the day I was returning home. Luckily I checked before leaving for the airport and after mad dash back to the Cadeca a smiling cashier was there waving it at me as I walked back in.

As regards your hotels, never having been to Varadero I can't offer any opinions.

northants england
Level Contributor
86 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money

thanks only been to cuba on a day trip on a cruise so dont quite know what to expect. but this seems a far better option.

thanks for your advice

7. Re: money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 14:23