We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone renewed an ESTA for US recently?

Tillicoultry...
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
12 reviews
6 helpful votes
Anyone renewed an ESTA for US recently?

Apparently if you have been to Cuba and enter the US you now can't get an ESTA and need a proper visa. I remember this coming out during lockdown so never really paid any attention...

I had a quick look on the ESTA site but couldn't see anything.

Might just be my COVID imagination...

410 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,258 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Anyone renewed an ESTA for US recently?

Not your imagination Gordon - there were definitely posts about this alleged change some time ago but I don’t remember if there were any official links cited.

Artemisa Province...
Level Contributor
30,462 posts
25 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: Anyone renewed an ESTA for US recently?

I haven’t seen anything official. Last time that I looked, Cuba wasn’t mentioned in the relevant page about ESTA and terrorism sponsoring countries. (It took them a couple of years to make the formal change in relation to North Korea when that was added back).

I would suggest getting the ESTA some time in advance of travel in case they tell you that you have to get a formal visa.

Edited: 2 years ago
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
10 reviews
32 helpful votes
3. Re: Anyone renewed an ESTA for US recently?

Confusion still around.

I know some got ESTA approval then were denied boarding plane in Havana. Others were able to board, landed in third country gateway and were denied boarding plane to the States in such country: and if not enough confusion some denied entering upon landing in the States (sent back) Weird times!

So if you want something for sure as per current US Gov. double standard migratory policies: get a flight to Nicaragua, go by land across three countries borders, cross the Bravo River…and if you are Cuban you will make it eventually and you will be given green card very soon…if you do not die before.

And if you are not Cuban, well, keep being confused, ask ESTA and take your chances..

Artemisa Province...
Level Contributor
30,462 posts
25 reviews
10 helpful votes
4. Re: Anyone renewed an ESTA for US recently?

Voy - the original reports said that some of those who landed in the US with ESTA were told that their ESTA was cancelled and were given a visa that allowed them to enter the US for one time. Have people actually be denied entry and returned ?

Gordon - if you are wanting to travel to the US, perhaps safest to ask the US embassy in Scotland.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Anyone renewed an ESTA for US recently?

Hi all - thought I’d throw in my two cents. I flew from Havana to the Bahamas via Miami yesterday, and while connecting at Miami I was told my ESTA had been cancelled (but would allowed entry this time). I had researched extensively and had read these forums posts beforehand, but with nothing concrete to corroborate the stories I figured I’d risk it. The US Border Protection waiting room was full of other people coming back from Cuba in the same position, so perhaps they’re cracking down more actively now? Anyway, thought I’d give a heads-up to forewarn others!

Santiago de Cuba...
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
6. Re: Anyone renewed an ESTA for US recently?

Have seen this discussed in other groups.

As beardo says, even though US Border authority hasn't updated their information to include Cuba alongside Iran, Iraq, N Korea, Sudan etc re visiting in last x years and therefore requiring a visa despite being from a visa waiver country, it seems they are likely to apply this.

Some Cubans with (primarily) Spanish citizenship, started reporting ESTA revocation maybe a year or so ago.

Artemisa Province...
Level Contributor
30,462 posts
25 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: Anyone renewed an ESTA for US recently?

Article in French - https://escapade-mag.fr/reportages/1181-etats-unis-suppression-de-lesta-pour-les-voyageurs-ayant-sejourne-a-cuba-2022-04-04

I have seen reports from a couple of people who received emails the day before they were due to travel, telling them that their ESTA had been cancelled.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,258 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Anyone renewed an ESTA for US recently?

Karina who is currently in Cuba went from Oz via Canada to avoid any potential problems like this if returning via US.

9. Re: Anyone renewed an ESTA for US recently?

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

What are forum guidelines?

10. Re: Anyone renewed an ESTA for US recently?

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user.

What are forum guidelines? Edited: 2 years ago

Reply to: Anyone renewed an ESTA for US recently?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.