We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Playa Alameda! Help!

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
838 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Playa Alameda! Help!

Hi I have to make a really quick decision to book or not to book! Has anyone been here lately and is there anything wrong with this resort? They have a really good deal from Vancouver but I have to book today and don't have time to go through all the forums and reviews! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
838 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda! Help!

Bump

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
838 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda! Help!

Okay well I booked!I hope I made the right decision! I would still like some input from the pros. I was also wondering how far ( a walk down the beach) that this is from Iberostar Veradero as friends of ours are there for a wedding while we are there. Thanks Michelle

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Varadero
Iberostar Varadero
7,265 Reviews
Cuba
Winnipeg
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda! Help!

Great resort. We just returned from 2 weeks (Dec. 14 - 28).

Have been to Cuba many times - really liked this place. Food was very good, weather great, nice beaches, and the rec. staff make it fun. Lots of great excursions. Jeep Safari was the best - ask for Manual and say hi. The beach guys will take you out to snorkel over reef. The trip to Havana and catamaran ride were also fun.

Nice resort - just the right size. Not worth paying the extra for new Iberostar resort - spend the difference on trips and see the country!

We upgraded free to ocean view - 3rd floor - nice balcony for an end of day rum and cigar!

Enjoy - you made a great choice. The food is not great at many resorts - here is was very good, especially the buffet and Italian.

Barry Milne - Winnipeg

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Iberostar Varadero
Iberostar Varadero
7,265 Reviews
Cuba
Winnipeg
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda! Help!

Forgot to mention - the hike to other Iberostar is a ways. Figure 30 to 45 minutes on foot. Very short cab or bus which you can catch out front. They also have bikes and skooters.

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
838 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda! Help!

Thanks so much Barry!Its good to hear that the food is pretty good! I'm not really picky but some of the reviews I've been reading of other resorts kind of scared me!One other question, where did the Jeep Safari take you? This was one excursion we were looking at and also the Havana Trip.Thanks Michelle

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda! Help!

Hi Michelle - happy to help. The jeep safari took us to 4 spots. We went with 8 jeeps. First stop was through a town, then to river. We each took a boat and travelled along the river for an hour. Then we went to the ocean, where they gave us snorkel gear and we saw the fish over a reef for about 45 minutes. Then over to a farm for traditional Cuban lunch - food was excellent. There was horse back riding and hammocks to relax. Then we went to a cave area, where we hiked down to pool and swam in cool pools.

Drivers were a riot. Our driver was the best and you will likley get him - named Manual - great guide and ralley driver - tipped him well - he made the day fun.

No worries at all at the resort - Iberostar is very good name and best in Cuba. They took over the Play Alameda during last half of 2007, and the staff, food and beach/pool fun were great.

We had two rooms - 1923 and 1924 - top of 3rd floor overlooking ocean. Requested an upgrade - they gave it to us. Nice view of the ocean. Rooms very clean.

You might wish to take some cheap pens and pencils for tips - they love that stuff. Take Cdn. money - much better rates than U.S.

The Italian and Seafood restaurants are great, and the bufet does not get tiring. Fresh fruit and omeletts/bacon every morning - then a steamed capacinno down the hall - real rough!

Have a great trip. I had some concerns after reading the reviews, but our agent who had been there expained how the hotel had changed over to Iberostar, and we were happy we made the change. Great size of hotel. Not too large - only about 375 rooms, and was only 80% full over Christmas.

We heard others complain about the food at other resorts, and were happy we stayed at Playa Alameda, as the food was very good, and all the guests agreed.

Have a great trip - please say hi to Manual from Barry and heather in Winnipeg if you take the trip. He even invited us to his home for lobster on his day off, but he lived about 30 minutes away.

Anything else - just ask - I had some good tips and really appreciated it.

Cheers - Barry

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Iberostar Varadero
Iberostar Varadero
7,265 Reviews
Cuba
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa...
7,017 Reviews
Cuba
Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
838 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda! Help!

Thanks again for all your great advice! The Jeep Safari tour sounds great and I think Havana is a must!I'm glad to here that there is lots of fruit because usually when we go to Mexico this is my breakfast staple!Thanks again and any other questions come up I'll let you know! :)

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
East Selkirk...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda! Help!

Hi Michelle,

When are you heading to the Playa Alameda. My girlfriend and I are heading there on Sunday Jan. 20th.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa...
7,017 Reviews
Cuba
Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
838 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda! Help!

My sister and I arn't going till April 7 so I'll be waiting for all your great advice and opinions when you get back! Have a great time and have a Mojito for me! :)

10. Re: Iberostar Playa Alameda! Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 15:20