We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

playa pesquero

newent
Level Contributor
121 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
playa pesquero

hi 5 weeks till we go whilst we are there we will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary can i e-mail the hotel to book restaurant as don't want to be disappointed at missing if all booked up? Also am i right in thinking as we wont have any cuc to tip we can tip in sterling till we change our money or is it best to try and change some at the airport?will threr be time? This will be our first trip to cuba and really looking forward to it any tips would be great as to make the most of this holiday.Opps nearly forgot the day trip to havana i heard is a long day but is it worth i would like to experience some culture(not sure hubby is too keen though!)and see the real cuba.Thanks.

casperboo

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,450 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: playa pesquero

Unforftunately you won't see the real Cuba on a day trip to Havana.

As regards the hotel they do not accept email bookings for a la carte restaurants but it is as well to advise them that it is your wedding anniversary during your visit and see what they say.

Unfortunately the Cadeca is closed in the Arrivals hall so if you want to get CUC's you will have to walk down to the Departure Hall and change some money there otherwise you will have to wait until you get to the PP.

I have never advocated tipping with pound coins but the First Choice rep said on the bus that if you didn't have CUC's then use pound coins.

I was amazed she said that but on reflection it's pretty obvious why; because mostly you would tip the driver 1 CUC also the bell boy bringing your luggage to your room. By tipping him with a pound coin you are in effect giving him 1.70 CUC so it's quite a good deal for them. Not so with Canadian loonies though.

It's about a 70 yard walk to the Departure Hall so one of you could go whilst the other is on the bus. A lot depends how quickly you exit the Arrivals Hall and get to the bus. If you are one of the first you will have plenty of time, not so if you are one of the last, then it's better to wait until you get to the PP. I would suggest you just change £20 at the airport, but make sure you get a receipt and check you've been given the correct amount before leaving the window.

newent
Level Contributor
121 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: playa pesquero

thanks bellagio

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: playa pesquero

We were at PP for our 10th wedding anniversary in june last year..and told them on arrival, we were given a lovely cake during our evening meal and the table had been decorated aswell.

We are off on our 4th trip to PP in 3 weeks so we will just be leaving when you arrive!..You will have a amazing time at PP!

Cath

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
602 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: playa pesquero

Tipping the bell boys etc. with pound coins will be fine - it is all to much of a rush at the airport trying to get bags and get to the buses especially if it is your first time and you don't know the score. They can always ask someone to change them into Pound notes (which they can change) or into CUC later. Most people will do this on the first night so they will have quite a few.

We did the day trip to Havana and really enjoyed it - yes it would have been better to spend a few days but we had our 14 and 16 year olds with us (who didnt want to go) and we didnt want to leave them for more than a day on their own at the resort. It was a bit rushed and we would have liked more time to visit the museums etc but it gave us a taste and we will go back someday to explore further. It is also a long way to go and not visit when you are that close to Havana.

newent
Level Contributor
121 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: playa pesquero

thanks for your replys can't wait to get to cuba

Sk. Canada
Level Contributor
230 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: playa pesquero

If you don't change money at the airport, as soon as you get off the bus at PP, the cadeca (bank) is to your right. There are (3) windows that are open very long hours. You don't even go up the steps to the lobby - just at the edge of the building. It's set up pretty handy. Look at some of the pictures people have taken as well as one of the "maps" pictures.

Happy Anniversary! Great place to spend it.

7. Re: playa pesquero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 13:20