We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brisas Sierra Mar, Santiago de Cuba

Peterborough
Level Contributor
176 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Brisas Sierra Mar, Santiago de Cuba

I have been reading the reviews and they are very much great or not (which is often the case). My husband and I are considering Brisas Sierra Mar this Christmas. Has anyone been there recently - and how was it. By the way, we LOVE CUBA and have never had a bad experience, just like to try different places. Thanks in advance for any help!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brisas Sierra Mar, Santiago de Cuba

Hi! We were there a year ago (ok so not that recently!) and we enjoyed it a lot. Very different from Varadero and Cayo Coco....to start, the beach is a very dark coloured sand (wear flip flops so you don`t burn your feet!) It is also fairly isolated from other resorts and cities. Santiago was a beautiful city, about 1-1.5 hours by car.

The hotel itself doesn`t compare to any others I`ve stayed in. It is quite compact and not always the most visually appealing. Always clean though...except the odd roach in the hallway (the hallways are outdoors).

Sometimes it would get annoying having to go upstairs to get to the lobby, bar, and pool area, and then downstairs to the beach. Note: don`t trust the elevator...it was constantly being fixed and we got stuck in it for a short while.

The staff there were the kindest and most hospitable I`ve ever had the pleasure of knowing. We actually got invited to family dinner by Wilcer (he works in the laundry), and chummed around with Ernesto (entertainment staff) on his day off in Santiago. Jorge (entertainment staff) was also very kind and great to talk to. I would go back in 2 seconds just because of them!

Peterborough
Level Contributor
176 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brisas Sierra Mar, Santiago de Cuba

Thanks a lot Melissa - that is a great help!

Kirkfield
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Brisas Sierra Mar, Santiago de Cuba

I have been to the Sierra Mar five times now and have booked again this year for January 25th. We love the place and the weather there is the best. I read one review and the person said either you love it or hate it. I guess everyone has a different oppinion. I would go back twice a year if I could get my husband to travel that much.

I must agree with the other review the hotel needs a lot of work. The rooms are small and there is no bath tub. I miss the tub. Sometimes they smell a little musty but I bring my own air fresheners to hang around and a bottle of air freshener to spray when needed. That helps a lot.

If you read the reviews there's a good chance you might get scared off but the people there are great. We look forward to seeing them every year.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Brisas Sierra Mar, Santiago de Cuba

I would have to totally agree with the previous two posters. Sierra Mar is addictive. The rooms and the hotel itself are not the greatest but the staff are the warmest friendliest people you would ever want to meet. We are headed back on November 27th for a week and then for two weeks on December 28th. You will find that many tourists are repeaters which to me says alot about a resort. This will be our 7th or 8th time there, we try to go a couple times a season. We have never been there at Christmas but I have heard they put on a great party. We'll be there for New Years this year (also for the 50th anniversary of the revolution) so maybe we'll see you there if you decide to go.

Mrs. Wheelie

North Bay Ontario
Level Contributor
441 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brisas Sierra Mar, Santiago de Cuba

We are heading back to Brisas Sierra Mar in Feb. for our 7 or 8 time (Lost Count) and are looking forward to the reviews for this year although nothing seems to change from year to year. I have heard that the recent storms did not cause too much damage however any more damage to the road would not be great.

I would suggest you do not set your expectations too high and take the negative reviews with a grain of salt and you will enjoy this resort.

montreal
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brisas Sierra Mar, Santiago de Cuba

Hi!

I'm going in December for the first time to the Brisas Sierra Mar and looking forward to it. I've been to Cuba over 20 times (believe it or not, the first time was about 30 years ago) -- I stopped counting since I lost track!

I've been to two other hotels in the Santiago de Cuba region, the Costa Morena and although I didn't stay at the Corealis (spelling?!), I visited it and its beach a couple of times by bus. The Costa is unique and very quaint, so much so that Sunwing doesn't even give it a rating. I'm writing this because I'm pretty certain that the Brisas will be far more amenable. And that's not to say that I didn't love the Costa but it's not for first timers.

I'll write a review of the Brisas when we get back mid-December. I'm sure you'll have a great time as I always do in Cuba!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
984 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brisas Sierra Mar, Santiago de Cuba

If you like to party with Cubans be sure to go to the town of Chivirico about 25 minutes north on Saturday nights, what a blast.. you can rent a room on Cayo Damas for the night and return to the hotel in the morning

8. Re: Brisas Sierra Mar, Santiago de Cuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 08:20