We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

haven't got vaccinated for Hep A & B.... too late now :(

canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
haven't got vaccinated for Hep A & B.... too late now :(

leaving in 24 hrs...too late to go for a shot... has anyome got in cuba...?

what should I avoid ?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: haven't got vaccinated for Hep A & B.... too late now :(

Go and enjoy your trip. Don't worry, you don't HAVE to have these shots to go to Cuba!!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: haven't got vaccinated for Hep A & B.... too late now :(

You shoul be fine, but if you are worried, here are some foods to avoid:

Raw fruits and vegetables, mayo, cheese, yogurt, raw shellfish, undercooked/rare meat.

:)

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,293 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: haven't got vaccinated for Hep A & B.... too late now :(

Melissa, I get the adice about avoiding raw fruits and veggies if you are worried about Hep A and B, as the manipulations from the workers can contaminate it, but the meat, yogourt, etc... I don't see how it could give you the Hep?

As for the question of the OP, Hep shots in not mandatory for Cuba. I personnaly have been many times without having the shot. It's always a personnal choice to get it or not, but you should not worry about it, especially if you doN,t go off resort.

Lahr, Germany
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: haven't got vaccinated for Hep A & B.... too late now :(

I asked our doctor before we went and he said we didn't need them for Cuba. Said it was the cleanest country in the Caribbean.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: haven't got vaccinated for Hep A & B.... too late now :(

My point exactly!!!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
591 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: haven't got vaccinated for Hep A & B.... too late now :(

i agree, if you havent had your shots, i wouldnt worry about it, but just take precautions whilst you are there!

have a lovely time!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: haven't got vaccinated for Hep A & B.... too late now :(

Gengen, just posting what the gov't site said.

"Hepatitis A is acquired indirectly through water or food contaminated with human feces. Inadequately treated water, or polluted fresh or sea water can cause infection. Shellfish, such as oysters and mussels, are frequently carriers. Milk, cold meats and other food contaminated during preparation can also be sources."

www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/info/hepa-eng.php

And the University of North Texas Physicians Group

"the traveler should be advised to avoid salads, uncooked vegetables,milk and milk products such as cheese..."

http://www.unthealth.org

8. Re: haven't got vaccinated for Hep A & B.... too late now :(

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 00:18