We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are First Choice Premium Seats worth it?

Kent
Level Contributor
642 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Are First Choice Premium Seats worth it?

I've just had First Choice on the line asking if i would like to upgrade my flight to premium for a lesser price and just seeing if anyone flew that compared to normal class and if worth it??

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are First Choice Premium Seats worth it?

We flew premium class with First Choice last year to Cuba and for us it was well worth it. The cabin is only small and a lot quieter, also the service was spot on. You do a a bit more leg room and I think the seats are a bit wider. Your luggage comes off first at your destination so you will not be hanging about in the airport. I suppose it depends on how much FC quoted you and if you can afford it, if you can go for it.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
692 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are First Choice Premium Seats worth it?

All depends what you have to pay for the upgrade. Leave your booking to the last minute and you may be able to wangle the upgrade for free. I guess it depends what the upgrade is worth to you, the standard cabin is very comfortable with 33" seat pitch in 2-3-2 configuration. Both sections have seat back TV. Were it a Thomas Cook flight with 9 seats per row I'd say it was definately worth upgrading, not so with FC.

The FC premium cabin is much smaller, seats have an extra 3" of legroom with footrest and a 2" larger TV. Dedicated flight attendants. Drinks are free throughout the flight with welcome cocktail whilst the other passengers board. Meals are served on crockery with proper cutlery. You get priority boarding so first on and first off the aircraft. Your baggage also comes off first so first through immigration and customs.

Kent
Level Contributor
642 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Are First Choice Premium Seats worth it?

thanks for the replies - i flew thomas cook ast time i went to cuba, but first choice was cheaper when i booked. They have quoted me £89 return per person - still think its worth it???

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are First Choice Premium Seats worth it?

For £89 I would book it, but thats just me, we paid more than that and I would still do it on long haul flights.

Cobourg, Canada
Level Contributor
230 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are First Choice Premium Seats worth it?

How long is the flight?

The flying time from Toronto to Santa Clara is only about 3.5hrs. Some days I drive I farther for work :)

So anything under 6 hours I would not do it

Kent
Level Contributor
642 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Are First Choice Premium Seats worth it?

its about 9 hour flight, so yeah worth it!

Thanks guys! do you get all drinks free bar champagne? do youi get a different meal than those in normal class?

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
497 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are First Choice Premium Seats worth it?

We flew premium with FC in November. It is a long flight so its worth it for the extra comfort as long as you get a good deal. Food wise you get a menu to choose from (choice of 3 different options). The drinks are included but not the champers. Priority boarding and luggage just didn't materialise, we were boarded last outbound and en mass inbound and seemed to wait longer than most for our luggage both ways.........just the luck of the draw, I suppose.

The one thing that really annoyed me is that pre-booked seating only means that you will be sat together and not that you can request a particular seat, row or even area in the cabin. I can't understand this when you can do this with the original Thomson flights.

The plane we had was a 2-3-2 configuration, we were sat in row 1 centre section outbound and row 2 on the return flight which was fine, plenty of leg room but I would have loved a window seat.

Just be aware Row 1 window seats have less legroom as they are closer to the bulkhead........you can't put your legs out unless you are fairly short.

Have a great trip, I'd love to be going back (I'd go even if I had to stand all the way!)

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are First Choice Premium Seats worth it?

I have happily paid £199 return for premium seats for when we go to Cuba in Feb - so you are geting a bargain.

You get a choice of meals - but only 2 and it is served to look better - drinks wise its all free (except champagne).

After a long flight I am crawling up the walls to get off so teh quick exit is a real bonus to me.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are First Choice Premium Seats worth it?

For that price I would bite their hands off....we upgraded in November, It was a pleasant experience and nice to not have to queue for the toilets,and to be "waited" on, the seats are wider and the leg room is more (provided somebody doesnt recline their seat in your lap), drinks were of a better selection and more premium brands available ~ and free of course, food was no better than you get in star class but served on china. our luggage was prioritised at both ends which was a bonus. boarding was prioritised at Gatwick only.

If you book seats together you can not choose where you sit and because the configuration is 2 3 2 you could both end up on the end of an isle....I was told seats are allocated at the time of booking so the sooner you book the more chance of being in the two row and not the three..lol..

At the right price I would definitely upgrade again,,,but Im not sure I would pay full price...simply because I find star class to be very comfortable any how.

Kent
Level Contributor
642 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Are First Choice Premium Seats worth it?

thanks everyone! i have booked them! i thought why not! thanks for all your advice, i am looking forward to the flight now although bit worried as i have bad left knee and tend to require a seat where i can stretch this leg out straight! we will see when we get there I guess!

:)