We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sirenis La Salina or OGPT?

Nova Scotia
9 posts
Save Topic
Sirenis La Salina or OGPT?

This is our first trip to Cuba (or anywhere south) and we are torn between Sirenis La Salina or the Occidental Grand Playa Turquesa for April 09 (Easter). We want to have some fun, relax and be able to party a bit. Can anybody give their 2 cents?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sirenis La Salina or OGPT?

Welcome to the Cuba forum,

We researched both properties and although we had already been to Varadero, chose OGPT for the price and warmer weather for New Years. I do know a bit about SLS even though we never ended up there. Our friends went in early December and loved it.

Both resorts have lots of walking but OGPT is built on a hillside so more steps.

Both resorts are good to party at but SLS in Varadero is more accessible to off property night clubs and restaurants. Around the Varadero strip there is more to do off property there plus Havana is a day trip away. The Holguin resort area is pretty but has less to do.

SLS is newer and larger so I would think better rooms would be there. Same would be said for all the building facilities...all newer at SLS.

The food would be about the same at each. I believe there are the same number of ala carts too.

Both have lovely pools and swim up bars.

The beach is far superior at Sirenis La Salina and has way more walking space. OGPT has some grassy patches in the water.

SLS is closer to the airport for travel time. Prob 30- 40 minutes door to door. OGPT would be over 1 hour but nice scenery.

Staff were very nice at OGPT and treated us like family. Not sure about SLS.

I think as first timers to Cuba that SLS in Varadero is your better choice but I would recommend both resorts individually.

At one point or another do try the Holguin area as it's one of our favourite places. Father south and warmer so we usually go there DEc/Jan. I like Varadero in Mar/April myself. In fact, headed there March 18 to Cuatro Palmas (nice 3 star on the ocean in down town Varadero right near the famous Calle 62 open air bar with music and dancing in the streets...check it out...it's not to be missed.

Also a guy named Mardi on this forum has an excellent insider page with info for Varadero. I'll see if I can get you the link.

I have many photos of OGPT on my profile if you want to take a peak.

Good Luck!

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sirenis La Salina or OGPT?

Having been to both SLS and OGPT, I would recommend SLS over OGPT in a heartbeat. Although our stay at OGPT was okay, it didn't go much further than that. The grounds; beach; accomodations; food and staff we found to be far superior at SLS.

Nova Scotia
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sirenis La Salina or OGPT?

Thanks so much for the insider info, it is much appreciated! We are super excited to go and want to make sure we choose a resort that will be a good fit for us. Sounds like the SLS is a winner!

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sirenis La Salina or OGPT?

We have also been to both, and would return to OGPT in a heartbeat. Not so with Sirenis. We loved the beach at OGPT better. It was nowhere near as crowded. We enjoyed the food better at OGPT. Sirenis was just so large, you never felt "at home".

I have reveiws of both places under my profile. Feel free to pm me with any questions you may have.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sirenis La Salina or OGPT?

SLS is indeed a very large resort, we like the bigger resorts so it was not a problem for us.

As far as the beach goes, we found OGPT to have too much seaweed and sea grass for our liking, but to each their own. I am sure you will be happy with whichever you chose!!

6. Re: Sirenis La Salina or OGPT?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 22:17