We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What type of BEER is served in CUBA?

Ontario
9 posts
Save Topic
What type of BEER is served in CUBA?

We've never been to Cuba and are going to Sandals Hicacos later this month and just wondering what beer labels they have ... is there only a domestic brand (and if so is it any good) Really hoping that they have imported beer... CORONA perhaps?

UK
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What type of BEER is served in CUBA?

Corona is available in certain places.Local beers are Cristal and my preferred choice which is the stronger,fuller flavoured Bucanero.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What type of BEER is served in CUBA?

Here's some info on the three popular beers in Cuba. Cristal, Bucanero and Mayabe. When in Cuba, you'll find the Mayabe the most difficult to find, but is is available in some places. The info and opinions are from a Cuba Heritage website.

Cristal Beer

Cristal is the authentic Cuban beer, brewed with the highest quality ingredients. Its personality, light alcohol content (4.9% abv) and truly refreshing taste has made it the favourite and most popular beer in Cuba. It is ideal to enjoy the most pleasant moments in life and can make you the life of the party, or give you just enough of a buzz to make you smile Cuban style!

Cristal beer has become "La Preferida de Cuba" which means the preferred beer of Cuba. Today it is the brand of choice for 80% of cuban consumers and has also become a favourite amongst tourists.

Each bottle is stamped with the Royal Palm tree, our national tree, which symbolizes the authenticity of this fine beer. Cristal is brewed with top quality malt, the most natural water from a deep spring source, and has a revitalizing light hop flavour with no after-taste. Cristal is the perfect choice brew on a hot sunny day, which is almost everyday in the lives of Cubans

Cubans love their own national products and it is very common to see Cristal at all concerts, parties, on the beach or in the hands of a serious domino player or any respected salsa dancer.

Bucanero Fuerte (Strong)

A beer for the distinguished drinker! For a drinker who prefers the stronger taste of a full-flavoured beer. Having more alcohol (5.4% abv), a deeper amber colour and a delicious refreshing taste makes Bucanero Fuerte (strong) different from its competition.

Bucanero Fuerte is made from the most natural and freshest ingredients, with superior malt and blended with just a touch of Cuba's finest sugars.

Its name alone brings meaning to this stronger beer. Named after old legends of the Caribbean pirates, this hidden treasure is truly one of Cuba's best-kept secrets.

Mayabe Clara (Clear)

A clear and light tasting Cuban beer! For a person who seeks a relaxing and enjoyable breeze on a hot summer's day at the beach. Its unique Pilsner malt gives us a smooth 4.0% abv and is the reason for Mayabe's clear and golden colour.

This mystic and sensual brand takes its name from an indian legend in eastern Cuba, a colourful region rich in culture and heritage. After one taste you will feel like you found a mystical brew locked away in this tropical paradise. A flavour that will send your taste buds soaring!

Happy sampling.

Steve

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What type of BEER is served in CUBA?

There are quite a few more local beers in Cuba, sold for CUC.

A couple of different Polars, Tropicale, Hatuey and more that I don't remember.

Imported beer that is fairly widely distributed, Heineken and Bavaria which is really really horrible.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What type of BEER is served in CUBA?

Cristal beer is excellent. Reminds me of Labatt's lite. Check out www.cervezacristal.com

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
690 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What type of BEER is served in CUBA?

My wife and I are Corona drinkers here in Canada but when we head to Cuba we drink Cristal, try it you'll like it!

essex
Level Contributor
719 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What type of BEER is served in CUBA?

Cristal beer is known as ladies beer by the locals as it isnt very strong. After becoming quite freindly with some locals they made fun of the men in our group for drinking it.

7. Re: What type of BEER is served in CUBA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2006, 11:39
Ontario
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What type of BEER is served in CUBA?

Thanks all for the advice ... I myself am a Corona lady... but I can't wait to sample some of the suggestions on the local brews....

My other big drink preferance is drinks that include VODKA ... when resorts list they have international brands it that usually the case or do they have generic no name vodka?

Also on another note... has anyone golfed in varadero???

Is it any good ... or should I say is it worth it???

Day trip out to Havana... good excursion??? Only in Cuba for 1 week is it a definate can't miss?

toronto
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What type of BEER is served in CUBA?

If you look hard enough you will find Cristal in some LCBO in Toronto.

Toronto
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What type of BEER is served in CUBA?

They do sell it in the LCBO's in toronto, Many people feel its similar to corona but cheeper and a little less taste.