We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you feel about having to dress up for dinner (men)

Newmarket, Ontario
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How do you feel about having to dress up for dinner (men)

I'm curious if it's just my husband who finds that the dinner dress code is "unfair" to men and moans and groans about it for weeks before every trip.

I'm talking about the long pants and no sandals rule some resorts have for the buffet, not the a la cartes (though the sandals thing is still an issue).

He says the last thing he wants to do after a hot day in the sun is put on long pants, socks, and dress shoes just to eat a quick meal. As soon as we're done eating he changes back into shorts and sandals. He also hates having to bring the extra clothing, especially on longer trips when every pound counts.

Cleaning up for dinner he's not at all opposed to, but would be a much happier person if he could wear nice shorts, sandals, and a polo shirt (as women often can) at least at the buffet.

Do you (or yours) complain about this, or is mine the only one who really doesn't like having to dress up when on vacation?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,079 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you feel about having to dress up for dinner (men)

I would not dream of going to an a la carte restaurant in shorts, even if it were permitted. Surely it is not too much trouble to 'dress up' a little when you take your wife to an a la carte.

After all you have splashed out on a holiday and it's surely worth the effort to dress up a little in the evening on the nights you dine in an a la carte.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you feel about having to dress up for dinner (men)

If it's indoor and air conditioned, I have no problem with it.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you feel about having to dress up for dinner (men)

Belagio, the OP said she didn't have a problem with dressing up for the a la cartes. It was the long pants for the buffet that bothered her husbamnd.

I don't have a problem with the a la cartes either, I don't go to them. So, no problem.

As far as dressing up for the buffet, I won't go anywhere where dressing up in pants is a requirement. So I guess I don't have a problem with that either. I prefer places where the atmosphere is casual. To each his own!!

This is another reason why I prefer two and three star resorts, aside from the lower prices.

Throw a bucket of slop in the trough and I'll be happy.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,364 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you feel about having to dress up for dinner (men)

My husband would never consider going out for an evening meal, to a buffet and especially an a la carte,without wearing long trousers.

May be it is an age thing or just his upbringing.When you go out surely, and as bellagio has said taking the wife out,you would both want to look your best.

You do not have to wear a suit and tie and wear Oxford shoes just trousers a shirt with color and closed in footwear.Best bib and tucker is the way to go for your supper, or the best you can for the conditions.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you feel about having to dress up for dinner (men)

Hmmm

Interesting

What is wrong with nice (longer golf type) shorts and good sandals (no black socks please LOL)

Do not women wear capris and nice sandals to dinner???

When I go to a restaurant ... I have worn both but most often light cotton dress pants but my good sandals ... I don't eat with my feet.

Oh and I usually shower before heading out for the evening.

Mardi

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you feel about having to dress up for dinner (men)

Agree Mardi, problem is that your/my idea of decent and someone else's can be radically different. Some people have no shame or common sense, so we need certain rules to keep them in line... I'm like the op's husband - dinner's over, I'm changing back into my shorts and sandals.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How do you feel about having to dress up for dinner (men)

I don't have problem or issues with people wanting to dress up for their meals. It's great for them. I don't like to do it. Of course I wash and put on clean clothes like any normal human being would. But I don't like dressing up.

So my solution is not to buck the system, or to try and flaunt the rules. I go to places where their is no dress code. No conflict.

I would take exception though to someone who tries to impose their own values and tastes on me when there is clearly no reason fopr them to do so.

I would prefer to eat my meals outside with my toes in the sand and birds circling around me. Which I try to do as often as possible.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do you feel about having to dress up for dinner (men)

If you're patronizing an establishment where you fully expect them to display extra special effort regarding the decor, ambiance, food preparation and presentation, service, etc. then it's nothing more than simple manners and courtesy to show them a little extra respect too.

If someone doesn't like dressing up for an hour then there are many other choices for food. No big deal.

Cheers,

Terry

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do you feel about having to dress up for dinner (men)

Well stated platypus_rex.

Cheers,

Terry

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,079 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do you feel about having to dress up for dinner (men)

platypus_rex:

Apologies, I didn't read the question properly. Must be jet lagged after a long flight yesterday and the 7 hour time difference I'm now experiencing compared to the UK!!