We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Translations!!

glasgow
4 posts
Save Topic
Wedding Translations!!

Hi,

My fiance and I are getting married in cuba in Feb and we are looking for some advice on translation costs. We've been given some prices by a company recommended by Thomas Cook but they seem quite excessive (£800). Does anyone have any experience on this matter or can anyone point us to a professional but cheaper alternativ?? We don't want to be stingy but we're trying not to get ripped off either!!

Thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,222 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Translations!!

Congratulations!

If you don't mind me asking... Translation of what?

Havana, Cuba
Destination Expert
for Varadero
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Translations!!

Make the translation in your own country, then take it to the cuban consulate and legalize it there.

But first, think it over again :)))

Bristol
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Translations!!

we used the spanish translation bureau as recommended by Virgin. £465 approx - google then or search for them on facebook

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
165 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding Translations!!

Hi

I have just done my translations for my wedding in October. Thomas Cook recommended a company to me who were quoting 455 (only needed 1 doc translated).

I used a company called armanara to do the transaltion for at a cost of 156 that included them taking it to the fco and the fco costs. They then sent them back to me and i went to london myself to the cuban consulate and the charges there was 144

Total cost 320 (including 20 for the train fare).

It is much cheaper doing the donkey work yourself.

Hope this helps.

x

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding Translations!!

Congratulations bopper!!

What is it that you're looking to have translated? If neither of you have been married before all you need is your birth certificate and passport - in english.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,222 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding Translations!!

Amanda, that's exacly why I was asking what translation they needed...

In Canada anyway, 2 single foreigners getting married in Cuba only need their passport (not even the birth certificat...although that might varies from one hotel to an other, who knows) and no translation is required. It's only if you are divorced or widowed that you need the divorce certificat translated and authentified by the Cuban consult. Cuban consul here in Montréal does the translation for 32$ per page and authentification for 160$ per page, so 352$ total (about 195 Pounds?)

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
602 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding Translations!!

I don't know about Cuba - but we got married in Mexico a couple of years ago and we had both been married before so more complicated - what we had to do was get together all our documents: birth cert, divorce certs etc and have a oath sworn by a local solicitor (cost £15) to say that we were who we said we were. Then all this paperwork had to go off to the home office to be approved (cost approx £80). We just took this to Mexico with us as this was all that was required before we went.

We did need to have the marriage certifcate translated when we came home because the passport office will not accept one in Spanish - everyone else did, and it is pretty obvious all the words just have an extra o on them lol. This we had done by a local interpreter who we found in the yellow pages as they have to be 'approved'. This cost about £30.

Not sure about Cuba but would have thought the process would be similar.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,222 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding Translations!!

The process is more complicated in Mexico than in Cuba... And don't you need to have a blood test too? Cuba does not ask for that.

And it's a good point about ahving the wedding certificat translated when you come back. In canada, it's 30$.

In Cuba, for 2 singles foreigners, only the passport and 2 witnesses.

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding Translations!!

Yep, very good point about having the wedding certificate translated into English when you receive it. I needed to send the original version, and the original stamped translation to the passport people to get my passport changed. Oh, and they charge you the full renewal price for updating your name too by the way!!

glasgow
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding Translations!!

Thanks for that, I need two documents translated (name change by deed poll etc). Thomas Cook Company are asking for almost £800 to have the translations done. However, thanks to your advice I think I'll do the donkey work myself and take a trip to London.

Thanks again :-)