We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Online quotes with kids

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
403 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Online quotes with kids

Gah! First, let me say I swear I'm not an idiot. I always do all my own research and book all my trips online and I've never had as much difficulty as trying to research Cuba. Of course, this is also my first attempt at doing a package trip since having kids so maybe that's the difference.

How do you get quotes? Most Cdn packagers are giving me error messages or telling me I have too many people in a room, even though the direct hotel websites tell me I'm allowed 2 kids with 2 adults. Signature quotes aren't including a deal for first kid free and second kid half price.

I don't want to go to a travel agent because I'm not ready to book yet. I just want some prices.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Online quotes with kids

Without knowing what you're looking at or when you're planning on going, it's hard to offer an answer. Some of the kid specials are only offered at certain times of the year. Is it possible you are looking to book at a time when the specials don't apply?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
403 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Online quotes with kids

Hi, here are some examples:

Signature says that Playa Pesquero has either 1 king or 2 twin beds in a room, and won't take 2 kids in a std room. Fair enough, I wouldn't want to cram my family into 1 king. Upgrade to a superior and Signature will allow a quad booking, but the description that *it's* only two twin beds as well, so what exactly are they upgrading?

Nolitours says you can get two doubles in the std room...but again, not allowed more than 1 kid in the room.

But this can't be right because the PP keeps popping up on TA as one of the top recommended family hotels...maybe if you have 1 kid.

Same with the SRLM. Two queen sized beds according to Nolitours, but maximum 3 people in a room.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Online quotes with kids

This is where the wording gets tricky. One travel company may call the room standard, another call it superior, when in fact it is the same room size and layout, but perhaps in a better location.

What is referred to as a twin bed is more than likely a 3/4 bed. Slightly larger than a twin, but smaller than a double. You can get two young kids in there, but it is extremely tight for two adults. What is referred to as a double is sometimes only a 3/4 bed as well. That being said, most resorts will bring out a roll away bed for the second child.

I don't know if I've ever seen a queen bed in Cuba, and if they do have them, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to book two adults and two kids. Unless the kids are over the age of 12, then some tour companies consider them adults.

I don't know if this helps you or not. If worse comes to worse you could call an agent, and explain you're not ready to book, but just want pricing. There should be no obligation.

Good Luck.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
403 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Online quotes with kids

Both kids are under 12, so that shouldn't be the problem. I am reaching the point where I feel like I need a human being to guide me through this. I'm tired of having to go through 14 steps only to be told at the end of the process that I've exceeded the maximum occupancy.

I'm still confused how all these "family" resorts can only accept 3 people per room. Or, from what I've since read on this board, how the tour operators can justify refusing to accept 2 kids in a room when the hotel doesn't have a problem with it.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Online quotes with kids

I just tried a phantom booking for PP. Make sure you put occupancy as double, not quad. When I did that, it showed a price for two kids.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Online quotes with kids

Playa Pesquero has 2 room catagories, standard and superior. Superior being slightly bigger.

You should have no problem getting 2 double beds in either room catagory.

Our last stay at PP was with 20 guests for our wedding, 1/2 of the rooms had 2 double beds in both the standard and superior rooms.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
403 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Online quotes with kids

Thanks for the info on the PP. And also the explanation of the 3/4 beds. I'd be hoping for a std room -- as choosing superior was adding $1000 to the quote for what didn't seem like a whole lot more. It doesn't seem like that guarantees an oceanview.

Anyway, the research continues. :-)

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Online quotes with kids

Were you able to get quotes with kids rates?

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Online quotes with kids

No it does not guarantee an oceanview room and if the difference is $1,000 - having stayed in both myself, its not worth it, in my opinion.

Good luck!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
403 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Online quotes with kids

I was finally able to get quotes with kids' rates for the PP. But so far every tour company I've found requires a superior room before they let me put 2 kids in it. So it's not really kids' rates when they're insisting that everyone pay more money for the priviledge of staying in the same room.