We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling "illegally"

rhode island
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
travelling "illegally"

so i have read alot but

....upon returning through cancun to the usa...should i just be honest list cuba and say i was there. i actually wont be spending any of my money at all...i read its best to be honest so on the return paper work should i list cuba or leave blank

- in cancun they will stamp it a second time and i have a new passport so it will be obvious

- is there any reason not to go because of the embargo...is getting back and through relatively safe

thanks any other points of relevence please advise

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling "illegally"

Simply because the OFAC is not actively looking for US citizens violating the travel restrictions does not mean those OFAC regulations no longer exist. You still need to take simple precautions to avoid them. Admitting to a US CBP officer that you went to Cuba is basically throwing yourself to their mercy and that may very well result in a receiving a letter from them.

1.) Do not list Cuba as a country visited on the Customs Declaration form.

2.) Remove all Havana baggage tags.

3.) Throw away all ticket copies of the Cuban portion of the trip.

4.) Do not bring back high profile Cuban products.

Your comment that you won't spend any money in Cuba is immaterial - you still travelled illegally and broke US law. Lastly, the Mexican stamps are also immaterial on their own, you'd have to give other evidence against yourself in order for the OFAC to initiate legal proceedings against you.

Tens upon thousands of Americans travel illegally to Cuba via Cancun and return home with zero hassles.

Have fun. Travel smart.

Cheers,

Terry

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,635 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling "illegally"

Terry has given you VERY good advise - follow it and you will not have any problems. .

3. Re: travelling "illegally"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2011, 13:00
Grimsby ON
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling "illegally"

"i actually wont be spending any of my money at all..." curious as to how you will be able to enter and exit Cuba without spending any money. Airport fees included in ticket, visa, get out of Cuba tax 25 CUC's.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling "illegally"

As recommended, I would make sure to have no evidence at all that you visited Cuba. It is still illegal and just need 1 person to give you a hard time.

6. Re: travelling "illegally"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2010, 06:24