We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help! First time travellers

Toronto
1 post
Save Topic
Please help! First time travellers

My girlfriend and I are planning on taking a vacation for 7 days in February. Due to work, date to leave is on the 25th. We have not travelled before and are looking for somewhere for as cheap as possible. Hence, Cuba.

My question is would I be better off booking now and get a spot reserved or would I be better off to wait and try and book last minute?

I don't know anyone who has travelled this week of the year to see what their experience is. I'd hate to wait and find the price we want to pay has passed us by.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

We would like to pay approx $750 each.

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help! First time travellers

What we did last year was booked a month before leaveing. I had watched the flights and nothing was dropping but the availabilty was disappearing. This year we booked begining of Nov. and received early booking discounts of around $500. (can) each for two week stay in Jan. Check some sites like RedTag.com or whatever you have and see if the prices fit. I reccomend Puerto Plata. We paid 749. ea for one week, but then there are always insurance and extras to think of. BTW we fly from the west coast so the prices are a little higher than the east.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help! First time travellers

Since you're locked into a specific departure date simply watch the prices until they meet your budget at a resort that suits you, then buy it immediately.

Never look back.

Cheers,

Terry

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help! First time travellers

Hola

Just did a quick check and you will have to do as Terry says

Not much to chose from right now

Keep us posted ... we can help with location and resort choices

Mardi

The Great White...
Level Contributor
993 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help! First time travellers

Check out Marea del Portillo (south of Manzanillo, Cuba) They have Thursday departures and are around your price range. You can check it on SelloffVacations. We had a great vacation there in October.

owen sound
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help! First time travellers

If you do look into the Marea del Portillo don't book the Punta Piedra Room

These rooms are 5 km down the road and are not in the main resort and not much there for a beach

6. Re: Please help! First time travellers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2010, 05:17