We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK and Europe travellers to Cuba

Calgary
Level Contributor
246 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
UK and Europe travellers to Cuba

Hi did the folks who were booked to fly to Cuba from the UK and Europe get away. Or were the flights still grounded, I sure hope everyone got away and are enjoying their long awaited holidays in paradise.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
21,238 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK and Europe travellers to Cuba

Still grounded till at least 7 pm UK time.

They are saying the odd plane is getting away from the northern airports but no actual evidence. We live a few miles from an airport and see in the evenings the lights o the planes.

It has been so strange to see clear skies since Thursday.

As we live in such an area that the air ambulance usually flies every day. That has not been able to fly either.

Redcar, Cleveland
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK and Europe travellers to Cuba

Still no flights to or from the UK - restrictions are still in place until at least 1900 local time today although these are likely to be extended as forecasters are predicting that the ash cloud could remain over the UK for several days yet. There's a further update from NATS due at 0900 local time today.

My in-laws were due to fly to Cuba this morning and their holiday has obviously been cancelled. The problem that they are finding now is trying to book another holiday as there is very little availability.

On top of this, my brother is due to fly back from Australia on Tuesday but doesn't know when he will get home, my wife's best friend was due to fly back from Saudi Arabia two days ago and the next available flight is 1 May and my step-daughter's relatives were due to fly back from Orlando today and have been told that they can't get on a flight for 10 days!!!

It looks like it's going to get worse before it gets better for the Europeans!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK and Europe travellers to Cuba

ballagio,

We can only hope all is well for those stranded - my heart also goes out to those who have been anticipating a vacation (particularly those who must book days off months in advance with employers) and not get one.

I hope that things work out (for the best??? aka "meant to be") for everyone. I cannot imagine the utter torture this brings to those on their days off.

Good travels to all, I really hope you ALL make it to Cuba soon. (or back home for that matter)

Tabitha

P.S.: Of course, we will help out anyone we can when we are there. Let us know!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
102,234 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK and Europe travellers to Cuba

tsanbornca:

Thanks for that. On a personal note my son and his family are stuck in Florida. They had to move out of their rented villa on Thursday and have had to find and pay for their own hotel accommodation in Miami until Virgin Atlantic commence flying again. He had booked the villa independently so he now has to bear all his accommodation costs until he is able to fly home.

He actually wanted me to go with him, but I declined. His in laws and his sister-in-law's family all went as well booking separate villas, so they are all in the same boat together.

Calgary
Level Contributor
246 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK and Europe travellers to Cuba

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I feel for all of you going to Cuba or elsewhere on holidays. I know how exciting it gets when the countdown gets down to a couple of weeks or less. Then something like this happens out of the blue, who could ever have dreamed this would happen. Well lets all hope that the worst is over and things can get back to normal for all flyers in the world.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
102,234 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK and Europe travellers to Cuba

I second that. This is an interesting article to read, I wondered if this might happen:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8628323.stm

Neath, South Wales
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: UK and Europe travellers to Cuba

Makes you think, doesn't it ?

I think S*** will hit the fan if this has been all unnecessary !

At the moment we're still on tenderhooks as to whether we'll be flying on 26th, only a week away ..........!!!!!!!!! Haven't slept much, can't help thinking about it, although we know we'd get another holiday, it's just the way people are I suppose ?

trundle10

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK and Europe travellers to Cuba

Bellagio

I can't get that link to show.. have tried a few times. Any clues what it was about, please. Sorry to be a pain, just a brief idea would be great.

Thanks, Nickie

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
102,234 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK and Europe travellers to Cuba

NickieH:

Here i what it says:

Europe's air industry has called for an urgent review of flight bans imposed because of volcanic ash from Iceland.

The bodies representing most European airlines and airports have questioned the need for the unprecedented curbs, which affect millions of travellers.

Airlines that have carried out test flights say planes showed no obvious damage after flying through the ash.

EU Transport Commissioner Siim Kallas said he hoped 50% of Europe's airspace would be risk-free on Monday.

He said the current situation was "not sustainable" and European authorities were working to find a solution that did not compromise safety.

EU Transport Commissioner Siim Kallas: "We have an unprecedented situation"

About 20 European countries have closed their airspace and some have extended flight bans.

The flight bans came amid fears that the ash - a mixture of glass, sand and rock particles - can seriously damage aircraft engines. Airlines are estimated to be losing some £130m ($200m) a day.

The two airline bodies, ACI Europe and AEA, said: "The eruption of the Icelandic volcano is not an unprecedented event and the procedures applied in other parts of the world for volcanic eruptions do not appear to require the kind of restrictions that are presently being imposed in Europe."

One of the airlines that carried out tests over the weekend was Dutch carrier KLM.

Its chief executive Peter Hartman, who was on board, said there was "nothing unusual" about the flight.

"If the technical examination confirms this... we then hope to get permission as soon as possible to partially restart our operations," he added.

Steven Verhagen, vice-president of the Dutch Airline Pilots Association, told the Associated Press news agency: "In our opinion there is absolutely no reason to worry about resuming flights."

Meanwhile, British Airways was conducting its own test flight on Sunday afternoon, with Willie Walsh, a trained pilot, on board. The BBC's business editor, Robert Peston, understands that the airline fears it might not be allowed to fly normal services until Thursday at the earliest.

Germany's two biggest airlines, Lufthansa and Air Berlin, also said they had carried out test flights without apparent damage, as did Air France.

Edited: 18 April 2010, 19:52
Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK and Europe travellers to Cuba

Bellagio

As usual, you're a star. Thank you so much.

I'll buy you a drink when we all hopefully meet up in May.

Makes very interesting reading, doesn't it? Suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks again, Nickie