We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Cuba with a criminal record

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Cuba with a criminal record

Can a Canadian citizen get a passport and travel to Cuba if they have a criminal record? (DUI/DWI)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Cuba with a criminal record

1.) A DUI/DWI has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on having a Canadian Passport issued.

2.) No problems whatsoever with entering Cuba (or anywhere else) with a DUI/DWI on your record.

Cheers,

Terry

2. Re: Travelling to Cuba with a criminal record

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 June 2010, 05:45
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,407 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Cuba with a criminal record

I agree with Terry. I would jsut add that if you're pending trial and under restrictions until the trial, they might not issu a new passport. But it is really unlikely for a case of DUI/DWI.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Cuba with a criminal record

I'm a travel agent and my friend wants to go to Cuba. He had a DUI like 5 or 6 years ago. I've been trying to tell him there will be no problem.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Cuba with a criminal record

I don't think your friend wants to visit Cuba very badly.

Under normal circumstances a simple DUI doesn't stop a Canadian from travelling ANYWHERE in the world, including Cuba.

Cheers,

Terry

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Cuba with a criminal record

I'm sorry to say that a DUI in ones past does in fact prevent Canadians from travelling to some places, including the US and vice versa (American citizens can be refused at the Canadian border if they have a DUI in their past). I happen to know this first hand as my dad was charged with a DUI in 1988 and despite his criminal pardon, has to apply for a 12 month US travel waiver at the cost of $1000 every year or he will be turned around at the border and can be arrested for even trying to cross - Canadian passports aren't a free pass! Fortunately Cuba is pretty good with allowing travel to everyone; my husband is a member of a motorcycle organization and his passport is "flagged" for being a member, and mine for being an "associate" of his. We've been turned around at the border in the Punta Cana, Dominican and most recently Costa Rica for that reason alone, even though neither of us has ever been charged with a crime. This is one of the many reasons we travel to Cuba - no hassle and we're welcome just like everyone else. As Gengen mentioned, as long as you're allowed to leave Canada you'll be ok in Cuba.

Edited: 15 June 2010, 17:40
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Cuba with a criminal record

Dear banker_barbie, you misunderstand your Dad's situation. His denial into the US was not simply because of a DUI, there must have been extenuating circumstances. Here's the scoop:

1.) United States: A DUI is not a crime of moral turpitude so it is NOT a reason for inadmissibility into the US. The US CBP (Customs and Border Protection) does not care about crimes that don't involve moral turpitude unless there are extenuating circumstances - for example, shoplift a candy bar or have a toke of marijuana and that's an entirely different matter, you're in trouble with the CBP.

2.) Canada: When a foreigner enters Canada the CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency) officials treat DUI convictions very seriously and that crime CAN be a reason for inadmissibility. (Fortunately for all non-US tourists only the US shares its non-felony database with Canada so someone from the UK, etc. can "forget" about their DUI conviction and enter Canada with no problems.)

Two different countries, two completely different sets of laws regarding DUIs.

Cheers,

Terry

8. Re: Travelling to Cuba with a criminal record

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 June 2010, 11:59
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Cuba with a criminal record

That's a sweeping statement that's (unfortunately) not entirely true, Eureka4u2.

To get into trouble at an international border crossing (Cuba, or anywhere) your felony has to be on a shared database and even in this day and age of computers that's a very hit-and-miss situation - especially between G8 and developing nations.

You'd be amazed at some of the inconsequential information that's shared for no good reason (Barbie gives an excellent example above with the biker affiliation) and some of the truly scary stuff that gets lost in the bureaucratic shuffle.

Cheers,

Terry

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,867 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Cuba with a criminal record

Terry:

You may be incorrect that “moral turpitude” does not include DUI. If a person was a repeat offender with several DUI convictions; that could be enough to be refused entry to the US. “I have heard” that the assessment of how many times a person is charged before they are considered a repeat offender is a bit of a moving target at times, as it seems to change quite frequently.

Maybe that is the extenuating circumstances that you were referring to?

But … I could be wrong!