We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broken ribs = No Cuba??

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Broken ribs = No Cuba??

II fractured 3 ribs when I fell off my horse last week. Talk about epic pain!

I've been eyeballing deals to CVJ at the end of this month and am still considering it. The doctor said I could "do what I feel up to."

I know I'll figure it out, but am I crazy to want to still try to go (pending I can get caught up at work for the 4 days I missed)?? It could just be the codeine haze, but a week on the beach doesn't seem like that bad an idea.

I'm just afraid I wouldn't be up to scuba diving or spending 2 days walking around Havana as I had planned.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broken ribs = No Cuba??

I would delay it a while. A few years back, I dislocated my shoulder and thought that a trip to Cuba would be the right remedy but whatever I did, whether it was sailing or snorkeling, I was always conscious of my injury. Hampered my movement and my spirit so to speak. Plus the fact that I was possibly thinking of going there or Breezes mid-november and you and your gang would miss meeting dear old me. Codeine and scuba diving do not mix!!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broken ribs = No Cuba??

melissassm:

Sorry to hear of your fall. I think I would delay any visit to Cuba for a little while.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,378 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Broken ribs = No Cuba??

Thats desperation for you.... Ive never heard of anyone breaking their ribs just to go on a Cuba vacation... haha

Sorry to hear of your fall, I hope you feel pain free very soon... You know your limitations, stick to them and enjoy your vacation, sacrificing your more energetic plans until another time is a downside but the bonus is that you will be in CUBA !! Have a lovely, relaxing time!

nova scotia
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broken ribs = No Cuba??

Hey

I am with the others on this one....I know how much you were looking forward to going to Cuba but I had broken a rib last month during a bout of pneumonia and it takes a looooong time to heal. It really limited what I could do, sleeping was a pain...couldnt lift without pain, so I dont know how you would manage suitcases and carry on..also one slip and you would be in trouble...

Stay put and mend.....I will miss the first spring vacation to Cuba in 13 years as my husband just had one knee replaced and due for the next in late March....it will be hard not to have that two week rest after a long winter but looking forward to walking the beach with him next time...

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,229 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broken ribs = No Cuba??

I did the "crash & burn" off one of my horses a few years ago......cracked some ribs. I think Scuba would definitely be out, and even taking it easy on the beach might not be as comfortable as you think. Prices are good right now right into December. How about waiting a month or so? You could book it to look forward to, and enjoy it more when you go. :-)

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,354 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Broken ribs = No Cuba??

the medical staff at cvj are awesome! got my meds sorted out from canadian error, put me back on my feet and only lost 3 days of holiday time, staff monitored me daily and I received the best of care from everyone. carol e. still and all, give it a few weeks or a month just to be sure. sorry you fell off your horse. was it a mojito day?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Broken ribs = No Cuba??

Another thing to consider, travelling with a known injury might void insurance coverage if you needed treatment related to injury. I would wait until you can enjoy your vacation to the fullest.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Broken ribs = No Cuba??

Melissa

Get well soon and back on that horse ...LOL

Travelling while injured is not fun but would be a great way to recuperate (with the chance of reinjury ... LOL) I loved the feeling of the ocean movement when recooping from a knee injury.

Take a rest and go when you feel up to it

Then you can enjoy to the fullest.

Mardi

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Broken ribs = No Cuba??

Melissassm.......so sorry to hear about your injury. Heal up quickly and as Mardi says get back on that horse! Nothing is worst then handling luggage and trying to put your carry-on in the space above on the plane. But then you can always give a big smile and I am sure someone would do that for you. As the others suggest hold off for awhile and try to grab a good deal later. I know what it's like getting the crowbar thrown into your plans. Looks like my plans for MCG have just gone out the window! Take Care! You'll have your toes in the Cuban sand before you know it! CQ :))))))

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Broken ribs = No Cuba??

Thanks for the well wishes. It's been 2 weeks now, and I'm surprised by how much it still hurts!

I think I'll heed the advice and wait a while. It may work out that if I wait to go until late November two of my friends (usual travel buddies) may be able to come with the boyfriend and I. I'm glad this happened before I booked at least & the prices into December are still really good.

CubanWaters, maybe we will end up there at the same time!

It'll give me something to look forward to anyway & more time to get back to 100%

:)