We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miserable Weather in Varadero Last Week

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Miserable Weather in Varadero Last Week

I swore I would never go to Varadero in winter but circumstances got in the way and lo and behold I was there Dec 3 - Dec 10.

Dec 3 weather was nice, but not hot.

Dec 4 about the same

Dec 5, had to wear long sleeved shirt while on beach

Dec 6 & 7, added t-shirt under my long sleeved shirt

Dec 8, too cold to say on beach, moved to pool which I normally avoid

Dec 9, add rain to above, and needed towels to stay warm, along with t-shirt and long sleeved shirt.

Dec 10, departure day, overcast

The resort doesn;t have a thermometer, but I would think the temps were 15 - 20 most of the week. Combine those temps with strong on-shore winds and it was not pleasant. Forecast for the coming week not looking great either.

Take a sweater. Cubans were wearing coats and long pants.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miserable Weather in Varadero Last Week

Hmm... sounds about right!

We used to go to Jibacoa (halfway between Varadero & Havana) in early December but stopped doing that about three years ago because of the weather. We found the last two weeks of November to be the turning point, so that's when we go. We also skip early to mid January for the same reason.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miserable Weather in Varadero Last Week

and this year it moved in even sooner! lol. along with those pesky man o' wars. carol e. talk about climate change.

Nelson BC
Level Contributor
840 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miserable Weather in Varadero Last Week

Sorry your trip was cold. circumstance has us there over xmas but the trend looks better if you believe accuweather, not as good if you believe weather network...their numbers are 4-5 degrees less than accu's. Normally we go when it's cheaper and not as busy...end of January and have been lucky up to now.

Hasta La Vista

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miserable Weather in Varadero Last Week

Sounds similar to the weather @ Jibacoa Nov 26 - Dec 3. It's a gamble! The price helps make up for it....

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miserable Weather in Varadero Last Week

I prefer april to july in cuba... when I first found TA somebody told me to check out pictures from my resort at the time of year I had planned.....I saw pants by the pool.. no...not spending 10 grand to take the fam of 4 to deal with that.... Hawaii from the west coast better option in winter.

6. Re: Miserable Weather in Varadero Last Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2011, 05:20