We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It’s beginning to look a lot like …

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,391 posts
Save Topic
It’s beginning to look a lot like …

Best wishes for happy holidays to everyone on Trip Advisor!

Where else has there been so many comments about how to best enjoy your vacation time in Cuba? Where has there been such passion and encouragement to first time travellers … and tidbits passed along from seasoned people?

TA has its strengths and challenges, no question. Members look for simple answers to their questions at times, and find themselves bombarded with a plethora of divergent feedback.

That underlines that Cuba isn’t a one-size-fits-all … it appeals to the “I want an easy week of no hassles vacation on a beach” person as much as the “What is the real impact of our actions” person.

It’s time for the annual burying of the hatchets … let’s put aside our tortuous “But wait … did you ever consider ….” arguments and revel in our abundance that we have the opportunity to go to Cuba on a vacation. A well-deserved, well-earned vacation, no doubt. Yet still … a tropical vacation.

Winston Churchill once said; “We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.”

Seriously, look in the mirror; what did we give this year? Was it time for those less fortunate? Compassion for those in need?

We are (usually) more generous with our donations in this season of excess … and there are plenty in need, at home and in Cuba.

For every person heading to Cuba and stocking up at the local dollar-store … I challenge you to instead contribute $20. to your local foodbank. For every person heading to Cuba, I beseech you to remember the “Cuba for Haiti” campaign.

Most of all … I wish you happy holidays … in Canada, in the UK, in Cuba … wherever. Cuba is what has brought us together. We have differing views … which makes us stronger.

To TA staff, moderators and Destination Experts (especially Belliagio, Gengen et al) ... muchas gracias for your patience and tolerance.

Let the good times roll ...

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: It’s beginning to look a lot like …

i just ran around my house and put all my weapons away and just had a conversation with my tongue and cheek and told them to behave.

So before my tongue and cheek think they need to rebel,

What have I done this year, there are many but this one is my all time favorite and I help every year, sorry Cuba I will not go to see you on this weekend - worked at the food drive here at home. What i love about it is that a whole small city pull together and collects nearly 15 tons of food in one day.

I am wishing each and everyone a Merry Christmas or what ever your special holiday is and a Happy New Years. I like to thank those who have offered wonderful advice. lesson that i learn and the laughs some of us had.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It’s beginning to look a lot like …

Nice to hear that the drive was successful. Sad that it's necessary to do so in Canada...

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,431 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It’s beginning to look a lot like …

felize navidad! but I think cuba will need our help in the new year as well as the rest of the carribean, too. carol e. joyeuse noel, mes amis francais.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,850 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It’s beginning to look a lot like …

Helping to clean our own backyards first is always a welcome thought.

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Cuba trip Year to all

LENNY

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: It’s beginning to look a lot like …

Nice post Madrugada54 - its light-hearted and makes some very good points. Kind of nice for a change the last little while on here.

Lenny - your point is so true. I live in Hamilton, where 100's of people over the past several months have lost their jobs. The Good Sheppard; Salvation Army and Food Banks are bursting at the seams with the less fortunate. Although donations are up this year, they will still not have enough for the Christmas season, so sad.

While I agree there is hardship all over the world, and buying dollar store items or a goat to feed a family is a nice idea - I'll contribute here at home.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Everyone!

Tigs.

Edited: 15 December 2010, 02:25
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It’s beginning to look a lot like …

really nice post Ms Mad, good thinking... if I may, make one other suggestion, to think about giving to the Spanky Project that is coordinated in Canada for Cuban animals. Senor Radar a member on this forum would be a contact if anyone was interested.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,335 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: It’s beginning to look a lot like …

Hey mad

Nice post. Well written and the message isn't lost. As I said a few weeks ago on a post about gifting. "Hello my name is Bergerman and I haven't gifted in 3 years"

Merry Christmas to all my old TA friends as well as the new ones to come. Those on there way to the island paradise.. Safe Travels.

Cheers

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: It’s beginning to look a lot like …

Hola Sis

Very nice message

The Cholera epidemic in Haiti has extended the misery in Haiti for a full year since the earthquake and donations to the Cuba doctors fund among other charities is still needed.

My Christmas takes me away from my kids this year but to will be with my parents so different none the less.

A well know saying from Canada sort of applies here as well...

(so deep in meaning ... LOL)

Keep your head up and keep your stick on the ice.

(whether you are in Canada, Cuba or elswhere)

Mardi

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: It’s beginning to look a lot like …

Certainly a well written, thought provoking and inspirational post which is so appropriate for this season of good will and reflection.

For all its flaws i consider myself very lucky to call Canada my home. When i view the many issues which face the countries of the world and the challenges ahead i am reassured each day to know that our nation is well positioned to face those challenges.

I am thankful for the lifestyle that my efforts through the years allow me to enjoy and always remember those in more challenging situations by assisting in whatever means are appropriate each day.

How fortunate we are to have the freedom, opportunities and means to travel, educate and enlighten ourselves with the benefits gained by experiencing foreign nations and their people.

May we all have many more fulfilling adventures.

David

Edited: 15 December 2010, 15:47
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
827 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: It’s beginning to look a lot like …

Well Done hunny bun :)...

Your right, I already did my Christmassy good deed and donated bedding, toys, and food to our local dogs shelter, this time of year many pets are abandoned for newer models, or just abandoned due to lack of funds to feed them. I myself have 2 beautiful cocker spaniels that make me smile every day. I know there are people in the world suffering and I also donate to them, but spare a thought for all those dogs/pets who give us unconditional love no matter how badly they are treated. :)

Jan xxxxxxx

Merry Christmas Everyone. xxxxxxx