We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very sad news ...

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,866 posts
Save Topic
Very sad news ...

It is with the overwhelming sorrow that I have learned that our dear friend “mardi” passed away on Friday after suffering several strokes.

Mardi was an incredible presence on the Trip Advisor Cuba forum. He shared his experience and expertise generously. Always ready to answer questions with patience, he was well respected for his sense of fairness.

Mardi’s generosity was matched by his sense of humour! How many posts did he sign “Joe King”. His ability to diffuse hot threads was well appreciated. Mardi's kindnesses were shared widely with his friends – playing on a pick-up baseball team, helping with renovations, and hanging out at his local pub.

Mardi leaves behind three children, who he had spoken of on many threads about travelling with them in Cuba. The funeral service will be held on Tuesday in Whitby, Ontario. In keeping with TA Guidelines, I will not divulge mardi’s personal identity; if anyone wants to send an expression of condolences to his family, please pm me.

This is truly sad news to share to our TA “family”, of which mardi was such a large part. May "Bro" rest in peace.

Old Havana
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
El Malecon
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Walking Areas
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Very sad news ...

thank you for posting such a touching tribute to Mardi, Mad. I know it couldn't have been easy for you to do.

Mardi shared his love of Cuba over and over again on this forum and was a wealth of knowledge.

I had the pleasure of meeting him in person and know first hand what a great guy he was.

My heart goes out to his family and friends. He was taken from us far too soon.

RIP Mardi. You will be missed :(

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very sad news ...

very sad news:(

mardi was the first person to help us out on the forum many years ago as we planned our trip to Varadero.he was very patient and helpful. later he became a good friend and was an extremely kind and outgoing individual. he will be sadly missed by many. he was a tremendous help to many on this forum.

rest in peace mardi

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very sad news ...

Mardi was one of the best. I felt I had gotten to know him as a person I was proud to call a friend, and I will miss the conversations we used to have.

Adiós mi amigo. Te echaré de menos.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Santiago de Cuba
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very sad news ...

This is shocking news!!!! Mardi not only was a great source of information but also he had a great sense of humour. He will be sadly missed. With deepest condolences to his family.

CQ :(

Edited: 06 June 2011, 03:01
Level Contributor
4,976 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very sad news ...

Thank-you Madrugrada for posting, just heard the news from MacDon and am so very upset .I will miss Mardi so very much on this forum, he was taken from this world way too young. I appreciate and am so very grateful for all the help and kindness that Mardi has shown on this forum, he was the greatest weather guru for sure and had a knack of teaching and predicting the weather patterns in Cuba and for the most part was very accurate. He also had a great way of filtering out the BS and shedding a kind light on many topics

RIP Sweet Mardi, wish that Hubby and I could have had the pleasure of meeting with you.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very sad news ...

such very sad news to hear. Mad you wrote an excellent tribute, thank you.

Edited: 06 June 2011, 03:13
Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very sad news ...

Just shocking!!! Oh, the laughs we used to have on TA years ago with the KooKoo for Kuba Klub and then the very first Longest Countdown ... he was amazing fun and a wealth of knowledge! We stayed in email contact ever since and he just loved doing the quizzes I'd send ... my little Mardi-pants ...

I'm so sad and even more sad for his family and wish them my very deepest condolences ...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very sad news ...

Looking at Mardi's profile, he's been around one of the longest (Dec. '04) and has been quite consistent with his contribution to the forum. Although our paths did not cross, he would have been one of first to go to if traveling in his neck of the woods. Seemed like a fun guy to be around. Condolences to his TA friends and family.

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very sad news ...

So sad to hear this. May he be in that big Cuba in the sky.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
270 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very sad news ...

Marti came into my life through the Cuba Form on TA, as a person with good friendly advice often given with a great sense of care in the way he offered his wealth of knowledge. For me when first meeting Marti on TA, I was a new traveller to Cuba: he had really great information which helped me in the many trips I have travelled to Cuba. Even now as I look back on the many threads on TA form, he was there informing and advising. Marti (whom ever his personal name) is one of a kind on TA and has effective many people around the world through the TA social network. Marti you will be missed even as you shared my path just a short time. Thank you Marti, travel to new worlds, see and have wonderful new adventures. A thankful friend AB.

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor