We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very sad news ...

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
Save Topic
Very sad news ...

It is with the overwhelming sorrow that I have learned that our dear friend “mardi” passed away on Friday after suffering several strokes.

Mardi was an incredible presence on the Trip Advisor Cuba forum. He shared his experience and expertise generously. Always ready to answer questions with patience, he was well respected for his sense of fairness.

Mardi’s generosity was matched by his sense of humour! How many posts did he sign “Joe King”. His ability to diffuse hot threads was well appreciated. Mardi's kindnesses were shared widely with his friends – playing on a pick-up baseball team, helping with renovations, and hanging out at his local pub.

Mardi leaves behind three children, who he had spoken of on many threads about travelling with them in Cuba. The funeral service will be held on Tuesday in Whitby, Ontario. In keeping with TA Guidelines, I will not divulge mardi’s personal identity; if anyone wants to send an expression of condolences to his family, please pm me.

This is truly sad news to share to our TA “family”, of which mardi was such a large part. May "Bro" rest in peace.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Very sad news ...

Life is not fair. There was never a sweeter guy. See you in Eldorado, Mardi.

Joe King

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Very sad news ...

Mardi came into our life in Apr/2003 when I posted my first question on TA about a last minute trip to Cuba. Hes been a good TA friend for many years. A number of years ago on a trip to Santa Clara via Toronto we were to meet up with mardi and MacDon and manfredz. One thing led to another and there wasn't time and we didn't get the chance. I had always hoped that it would happen again. He was a wealth of info on Cuba. I totally agree that his humor was always present with his Friday "Joe King" I will miss his guidance and his friendship. R.I.P Amigo. I'm sure your having a cool Cristal while sitting in your favorite pub in Varadero. You'll be missed.

Your Amigo

Bergerman.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Very sad news ...

Wow, so sad. Sort of puts our petty complaints into perspective, condolences to his family. His presence on TA will be missed.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Very sad news ...

Warming tribute mad...thanks. This is a shocker. When i first posted....I was a bit of a pri(k....still am but in a lesser way. (I think). Mardi always countered my posts in a non confrontational way . Just the facts. Made me rethink what when and how to post on TA.....he will be missed but may his memory be a blessing.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Very sad news ...

Horrible news... we had plans to meet later this summer, so sad now that that will never happen... totally sweet guy who many times helped keep hot heads like me calmed down... he shall be missed... my thoughts go out to his family...

Sincerely,

Terry

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Very sad news ...

Such sad and shocking news. Cuba forums will not be the same without him.

Mardi was someone I always respected and admired, hoping that some day, I'd meet him in person.

Deepest sympathy to his family.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Very sad news ...

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

May he RIP.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Very sad news ...

We will truly miss our friend Mardi.

A very solid TA family member , who was a perfect example of knowledge and integrity.

May we never forget him!

Thanks Mad for your very kind words!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Very sad news ...

This is a sad night. totally sucks.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,647 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Very sad news ...

Another reason why we should always live life to the fullest.

He can say he left his life after living, and not a long slow old age, regretting things.

Next time we are all in Cuba we should rise our glass to him. That will be the longest wake for a valued TA FRIEND.

Sympathy to the family.