We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very sad news ...

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,867 posts
Save Topic
Very sad news ...

It is with the overwhelming sorrow that I have learned that our dear friend “mardi” passed away on Friday after suffering several strokes.

Mardi was an incredible presence on the Trip Advisor Cuba forum. He shared his experience and expertise generously. Always ready to answer questions with patience, he was well respected for his sense of fairness.

Mardi’s generosity was matched by his sense of humour! How many posts did he sign “Joe King”. His ability to diffuse hot threads was well appreciated. Mardi's kindnesses were shared widely with his friends – playing on a pick-up baseball team, helping with renovations, and hanging out at his local pub.

Mardi leaves behind three children, who he had spoken of on many threads about travelling with them in Cuba. The funeral service will be held on Tuesday in Whitby, Ontario. In keeping with TA Guidelines, I will not divulge mardi’s personal identity; if anyone wants to send an expression of condolences to his family, please pm me.

This is truly sad news to share to our TA “family”, of which mardi was such a large part. May "Bro" rest in peace.

Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
6,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Very sad news ...

Absolutely terrible news. I can't believe he's gone. Mardi was a great personality here on TA for his tremendous depth of knowledge, his fun loving wit, and his knack for being a calming presence. He was one of the most level headed of posters here on the form. Although we never met, I truly feel I got to know the man. He was a great help to me when I first signed on and he was the first to really make me feel welcome and a part of the gang. I'm sure many could say the same thing.

Mad, thank you for letting us all know. And thank you too for your heart felt tribute to Mardi. He will be terribly missed.

Terry

Vancouver,B.C.
Level Contributor
392 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Very sad news ...

Very sad news indeed. I always admired his outlook on life and how he "did" Cuba.

Regards

Tim

Wellow, United...
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Very sad news ...

Like all of us I am very shocked and saddened. Mad your tribute to a fine man was touching and so very true. R.I.P Mardi you will be very much missed by all of us x

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
829 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Very sad news ...

Although I didnt know him personally his posts always made me smile. he will be missed, my deepest condolances to his family.

Thanks Mad your post is a lovely tribute to him.

Jan :( xx

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Very sad news ...

Thank you Mads for informing all the TA members of Mardi's passing. I didn't know him personally but enjoyed his info and sense of humor here on TA. I hope he is sitting at a beach front cantina right now enjoying a cold one and a good conversation.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Very sad news ...

Such a shock! Rest in Peace Mardi. Thankyou Mad for such a warm tribute.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Very sad news ...

I can't believe it. This forum will not be the same without Mardi's presence. I always enjoyed reading his replies to newcomers here, he showed such amazing patience! We should honor his life by trying to more like him, My deepest sympathy to his family and friends. R.I.P.Mardi

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
102,162 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Very sad news ...

I have only just found out and to say that I am stunned is an understatement. I just keep telling myself this can't be true as I had absolutely no idea that he was ill.

Although we never met I always looked on Mardi as the true Cuba 'expert' as it was to him I looked for answers to all my questions on my earlier days on the Cuba forum.

He was generous to a fault. After Hurricane Ike when my friend had lost three quarters of her roof and there were no flights from the UK so I was unable to help, Mardi immediately bought 3 large tarpaulins and arranged with Cubasiempre, who was leaving for Holguin in a few days, to take them down and meet up with my friend to give her the tarpaulins, Without these she would have been unable to continue living in her house and it was over a year before materials were available to fix her roof. Both of us are indebted to Mardi for his help. What a wonderful man who will be sorely missed on this forum by us all.

I extend my deepest sympathies to his children, it is a tremendous loss to lose such a wonderful father.

Sarnia, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Very sad news ...

¡Mi Dios! Descanse en la paz, "Tony Montana"

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Very sad news ...

Just logged on and read this sad news, but what a wonderful tribute to a level headed, kind, funny man who helped so many here on TA.

My heartfelt condolences go to Mardi's family and friends...what a sad day.

RIP, Mardi, I hope you have found your way to Cuba, and find peace in your favourite place.

Bellagio and myself will raise a glass to you together on Saturday.

Nickie