We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very sad news ...

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,324 posts
Save Topic
Very sad news ...

It is with the overwhelming sorrow that I have learned that our dear friend “mardi” passed away on Friday after suffering several strokes.

Mardi was an incredible presence on the Trip Advisor Cuba forum. He shared his experience and expertise generously. Always ready to answer questions with patience, he was well respected for his sense of fairness.

Mardi’s generosity was matched by his sense of humour! How many posts did he sign “Joe King”. His ability to diffuse hot threads was well appreciated. Mardi's kindnesses were shared widely with his friends – playing on a pick-up baseball team, helping with renovations, and hanging out at his local pub.

Mardi leaves behind three children, who he had spoken of on many threads about travelling with them in Cuba. The funeral service will be held on Tuesday in Whitby, Ontario. In keeping with TA Guidelines, I will not divulge mardi’s personal identity; if anyone wants to send an expression of condolences to his family, please pm me.

This is truly sad news to share to our TA “family”, of which mardi was such a large part. May "Bro" rest in peace.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Very sad news ...

That would be wonderful, Softspirit. I hope it may be of some small comfort to his family to know how much Mardi meant to all of us. And to know that our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Jack

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,344 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Very sad news ...

Completely agree. It would show what high regard he was held in by his many friends here on Trip Advisor.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Very sad news ...

With 13,022 forum post since 2004 on Trip Advisor...Mardi I think touched all of us on this forum. And most often in a positive manner.

One only needs to look at Mardi's forum membership to see what a kind person he was. www.tripadvisor.ca/members-forums/Mardi

Madrugada54 ....Please, when it is appropriate let the family see this thread. A little while ago 7daysinparadise lost a forum family member and 'Bulldog''s family was quite appriciative to know that he had .....like Mardi .... made an important contribution to others they will never know.

My sincere appriciation for the posting, My sympathy in your loss of a friend

Canuks_2

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
Save Reply
54. Re: Very sad news ...

Very sad news indeed. Mardi was one of the very first people to welcome me to this forum, and his broad knowledge of Cuba combined with his helpfulness and humor will be very sorely missed.

Thank you, Madrugada, for your beautiful post. My sincerest condolences to his family.

Northern Alberta
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Very sad news ...

I just signed in after being away for a weeks holidays and I am so saddened by the news of Mardi's unfortunate death. I have exchanged many pm's with Mardi over the years and he was always so helpful, especially when I needed to someone to vent to.

He was a great contributor and will be sorely missed by many. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends. Thank you Mad for you kind words.

Que en paz descanse.

CC

Edited: 06 June 2011, 18:31
edinburgh,scotland
Level Contributor
749 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Very sad news ...

just heard this such sad sad news condolences to his family he was a true cuba expert with many a witty comment will be sorely missed on ta

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
57. Re: Very sad news ...

OH! That is so very sad! Words actually fail me at this time. He was one of the best, and kindest people on here, always helpful, never judgemental. The world is a sadder place right now. Thoughts are with all his family and friends.

RIP Mardi. Vaya con Dios.

:*-(

Taz

Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
1 review
Save Reply
58. Re: Very sad news ...

I am clearly coming late to this news, and cannot say much that hasn't already been expressed. Clearly his family, but also this forum and Cuba, has lost a wonderful spirit.

Mardi and I exchanged many p.m.'s and he was always most helpful to me as a traveller. When he disagreed with a poster, his jibes were fairly gentle in nature, even though he made it clear where he stood on many issues.

Although we never "met", I mourn his passing.

Beth

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Very sad news ...

My thoughts and prayers are with Mardi's friends and family. A very sad loss indeed and Mardi's witty expertise will be sorely missed.

Thank you Mad for posting this sad news.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Very sad news ...

How terrible.....in the few exchanges we had, I always appreciated his humour. And how he knew the answers to so many questions!

Mad, thank you for making what was undoubtedly a very difficult, but beautiful, post.

My condolences to the family, I hope they can be proud of how helpful he has been to so many of us here on TA.

Edited: 06 June 2011, 19:41