We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virus on plane to Cayo Santa Maria

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
710 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Virus on plane to Cayo Santa Maria

We returned last evening (well actually about 4am) from Cayo Santa Maria. It appears vacations are being routed away from here due to the dominican bug that decided not to get off our plane before we left for Cayo Santa Maria last week. Over 40 people from our flight came down with the virus to varying degrees.

My purpose in writing this is partially a warning but more importantly a thank you to Sunquest and the Melia Cayo Santa Maria fo rhte way they handled things. Despite people who were looking for any way to blame things on the resort these people did a good job in looking after the situation, taking precautions and bending over backwards to help. I still hate skyservice and perhaps more now but Sunquest and Melia were great!

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Virus on plane to Cayo Santa Maria

Just returned from Cuba on Sunday so it will be a while before I get back down there (I wish I was ther now it's so darn cold here). But I am curious as to the customer service aspect of your situation.

What sort of precautions and help did you recieve from the tour operator and hotel? We stayed at the MSM two years ago and had a great time.

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
710 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virus on plane to Cayo Santa Maria

Our tour operator was Sunquest and the rep was Jose, he was fabulous. Actively sought out anyone who was sick to determine what could be the cause. They phoned and had people come around to see if anyone needed anything. Asked those who had been sick if they would discuss it with the doctor at their convenience so the problem could be pinpointed and solved. Honestly the staff of MSM and Sunquest actively went out of their way to determine the problem, get the facts and provide any help at all.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virus on plane to Cayo Santa Maria

Gosh, what a year, hurricane damage, malaria in the DR, water shortages in Holguin, and various viruses like yours and more from the DR, I'm glad I'm not a travel agent. They must be going crazy! Glad you're alright now!!