We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go ...

Cobourg, Ontario
Level Contributor
242 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go ...

Thinking of taking my 16 yr. old daughter on a trip march 10-17 - want 4 star or more without breaking the bank too much - not sure whether to try dominican or cuba - we are both beach fans and she wants to experience that clear water! I have only been once to bahamas yrs. ago so not sure where to pick - both these islands are the more reasonable of course - any suggestions and even more specifically which locations on these islands, also not sure if either island has any difference in weather that time of year.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go ...

Take a look at Varadero , Cayo Santa Maria.. Their are many resorts options available to you in these areas in various price ranges. Weather in March is quite comfortable not too hot.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go ...

Also forgot to mention that Cuba is generally cheaper than the DR especially during the March break.

Cobourg, Ontario
Level Contributor
242 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go ...

I'm just worried about the food and getting sick also... I had someone tonight tell me about 3 different families that went to Cuba and got sick... I have been looking at resorts at a couple of the Cayo areas four and four and a half star but it doesn't seem by reviews that those ratings mean a lot.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go ...

Took my daughter to Varadero - Iberostar Tainos and it has a beautiful beach and the food was great.

The resorts in the Holguin area are very nice as well.

You may want to consider booking March 12 - 14 - you will save a lot of money - the weekend of March 9 - 11 will have the higher prices. Air Canada and Westjet vacations recently had some great prices. I know that Westjet has a great reduction in the taxes right now.

BTW - we have gone to Cuba with or without the kids many many times and have had very good food in Cuba.

Edited: 28 September 2011, 04:46
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jibacoa
Level Contributor
2,856 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go ...

Tryp Pennisula on Varadero would be a good hotel to take your daughter to. We were there during March break and there were teenagers with their parents.

If you are thinking of DR.. Punta Cana Bahia Principe would be a good choice. Large resort and a great beach.

I have been to both islands equally enjoyed them.

I usually don't get sick but I always take medications...just in case. I never travel without lomatil(prescription), gravol and antacids. I also get Twinrix and the Dukeral vacine.

Peterborough, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go ...

I would highly recommend the Playa Pesquero in Holguin, I have been to Cuba 10 times and I have never gone back to the same place, not because I didn't like where I had stayed but I just always wanted to try something different. Until this year this is the first time to this area and we actually stayed for 2 weeks at 2 different hotels, I have just finished booking for our trip next year and I will tell you it will be for 2 weeks again and it will be back to the Playa Pesquero for the full 2 weeks. If you choose Cuba just read all the reviews that people post and you will learn lots and go on your holiday well informed. Once you have gone to Cuba you too will be posting on these forums. Enjoy

7. Re: Where to go ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 13:19