We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guardalavaca or Varadero??

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Guardalavaca or Varadero??

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on the perfect holiday destination in Cuba.

We've never been before and tbh have limited knowledge on the resorts...we're just looking into them now but there is so much to consider!

We've looked on the Thomson website and the only resorts offered there are Guardalavaca or Varadero.

We're a couple in our mid 30's who are looking for a pretty relaxing beach holiday with some light/local entertainment.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
548 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guardalavaca or Varadero??

I can just give you my opinion....we love the Guardalavaca area.

Best resort and pricest is probably Paradsus Rio De Oro, food very good, adults only and Playa Esmerelda beach is a gem.

For a more budget minded holiday we like Brisas Guardalavaca (Villa section).great staff, short walk to the local flea market and another public

beach...nothing fancy but has all the ingredients for a nice vacation.

Blau Costa Verde is also very popular (we have not been there but have friends who just took their 8th trip to the Blau.

Check out the review section for each of these.

As for Varadero....I just didn't like the 'strip' of resorts all in a row and I found it very very windy. But the beach is wonderful. Plenty of resorts to pick from there....I'd stick with a well known chain name such as "Iberostar" or "Melia"

Iberostar Playa Alameda is on my list for a future trip.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guardalavaca or Varadero??

I prefer Holguin. .Varadero is still great but i prefer the atmosphere in Holguin...the resort above as mentioned is probably the nicest in Cuba (prdo) and u cant go wrong with the resorts at Pesquero beach - Playa Pesquero...Playa Costa Verde..the Blau...Sol luna Mares is on Esmerelda Beach - very nice and if u want a resort with the best location then chose Brisas Guardalavaca.

U may want to look at pics for both locations....the beaches and surrounding areas r very different.

If u wish to visit Havana, Varadero is a lot closer....U can visit Havana from Holguin but it would cost a lot more.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guardalavaca or Varadero??

Guardalavaca all the way...I didn't like the strip set up at Varadero much, and the hotel I was at could have been anywhere in Spain. I love the villa type, carribean-style of the Playa Costa Verde...have a look at it. For me, I feel like I couldn't be anywhere but the Carribean there. We're going back for our 7 th time next May!

Nickie

southern ontario
Level Contributor
937 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guardalavaca or Varadero??

My vote goes to Guardalavaca. We have been to most resort areas of Cuba and Varadero is the only one we did not like.

5. Re: Guardalavaca or Varadero??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:41