We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why the upgrades on flights?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Why the upgrades on flights?

Just curious I have seen fellow posters mention getting upgrades to different classes on the flights they are taking to Cuba.

Now are you travelling from somewhere other than Toronto, (our flight only lasts 3 1/2 hours) or do you bring large amounts of luggage (I have heard you get more allowance in the different class).

What are your reasons?

Personally when we travel we minimize our cost for the trip to maximize what we can do when we get there and so we can have more trips for the year. For the short trip to Cuba from Toronto the extra space doesn't seem worth any extra $$ and as for luggage we are always well under the allowance we get anyway so not sure why I could need more (though I do understand there are those who bring down supplies and items for families in Cuba).

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Why the upgrades on flights?

First & formost for us....hubbie is tall and the extra leg-room ensures he arrives in a good mood to start the vacation

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,860 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Why the upgrades on flights?

Charter flights are charter flights – the carriers squeeze as many people as possible into the plane and every now & then the amount of luggage permitted gets reduced. Vacation is vacation – and sometimes upgrading a flight is just as important as choosing a resort. Each of us has our own list of what we want ... for example I would never pay the price to go to a high-end resort, and would prefer to vacation at a three-star and upgrade the flight. Others would prefer to fly economy & put that money towards a higher rated resort, or an upgrade at the resort (ie from overlooking the loading bay to oceanfront).

I drag around a lot of dead trees, which weigh a lot. An upgrade that includes an increase in luggage allocation can be cheaper than paying overweight baggage fees.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why the upgrades on flights?

Some of us prefer to be comfortable or as much so as possible and don't mind paying for it.

I'll pay extra every time to have a little more leg room , my same seat every trip , a little extra weight as I NEVER seem to have enough ( my own fault ) , and one of my favourite perks no line at check in at YYZ COTU

LENNY

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why the upgrades on flights?

We do it everytime we fly with Transat. For the most part, we do it for the extra weight, leg room, free booze and a great hot meal. We also enjoy getting the nice little blankets with pillows.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why the upgrades on flights?

I don't bother. I am short and pack light.

northwest ontario
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why the upgrades on flights?

I do it too to avoid the long line up at YYZ, the extra weight allowance is a bonus too.

Cheers

Amherst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why the upgrades on flights?

If we fly Transat, we book club class on return. Extra baggage allowance isn't necessary but so nice to stretch out and relax on the flight home. The only carrier that offers it for us.

Mad.... Trees? Am I missing something or just daft? I know you wouldn't take sweets like brownies with you.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why the upgrades on flights?

I do it for the extra space, the extra luggage allowance, and also (mostly!) because I enjoy (and deserve!) the extra pampering! To me, the flight is part of the vacation experience, and Club Class makes it a really nice experience indeed! The attentive and personal service is great too - two flight attendants taking care of 20 people, you rarely have to wait if you need something. Oh, almost forgot: NO LINE-UPS for the washroom!!

One more perk: being able to use the priority line at the security check point at Trudeau airport, therfore bypassing the huge line-up (can you tell I hate waiting in line?)!

And now that I've discovered the VIP lounge for internatioanl flights at Trudeau, I budget for it - what a fantastic way to wait for your flight!

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,635 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why the upgrades on flights?

hubby is tall and all legsI like him to be in good mood when we travel, but we always take goods with us for Not Just tourist and the extra luggage allowance allows us to do this,

I like the fast tracking of lines, free liquor, extra luggae weight, and being pampered. We both work long hours during the yeart and it is our holidays and it is the one time we go all out.

just got home 3 hours ago from Cuba and went and came home club class

to me it is worth it as long is it a fair value. Leave in 3 weeks to go back and the cost is double, we just booked the emergency row seat for that trip.

I do VIP at the Cuban airports and it is worth every penny. End the trip with a bang.

Edited: 04 December 2011, 01:10
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why the upgrades on flights?

Welcome back , hope you had a GREAT trip swt .

LENNY