We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cockroaches..... ??? What would you do?

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Topic
Cockroaches..... ??? What would you do?

What do you do if you have a cockroach in your room?

To me that would be totally unacceptable and i would probably flip the *&^% out. I don't mind other bugs ; i just see them as more acceptable ( unless they are bedbugs but that isn't the discussion at hand )

I read the reviews on selloff and look at the pics... there is one for SLC and they have 2 pics 1 of a cockroach about the size of a guys hand ( or close to it ) and another of a dead mouse...

How would you react? How should i react?

It's my biggest fear about trying a new resort other than JB. I don't know how i would handle it....

Obviously i guess another room or an upgrade would be demanded at the very least.. what about a refund?

thanks to all for your input / discussion on the matter....

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cockroaches..... ??? What would you do?

Cockroaches and other wild creatures are not restricted to one resort or another. You are in a tropical country where many creatures can enter a room, including small lizards or crabs. I stayed in a five star hotel in Indonesia where i found six scorpions under my bed. I have found cockroaches in many resorts in Cuba and in other tropical countries. They don't represent an unclean environment. Things can happen anywhere.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
99,716 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cockroaches..... ??? What would you do?

If I see one I just tread on it. It's a tropical country, there are cockroaches. I've only come across a few on all my trips to Cuba, but generally no more than one in any one visit and certainly not one on every visit. They have only been a regular size,nothing large.

Heck I've come across them in a hotel I stayed at in San Diego, California.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,475 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cockroaches..... ??? What would you do?

I’ve seen lots of cockroaches in Cuba. They don’t have quite the terrible reputation there that they have in Canada.

If I saw a cockroach in my room I would probably kill it. I’d probably chase a mouse out. Don’t get me wrong – I’m not a fan of either, but going to a tropical country on vacation and seeing a cockroach certainly doesn’t merit “demanding” a room change, much less expecting a refund!

I hate to burst your bubble, but I saw cockroaches at BJ ... so what!

As one poster said a while ago when asked what he would do if he saw one, the reply was “Avoid eye contact.”

Edited: 20 January 2012, 00:50
Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cockroaches..... ??? What would you do?

I guess you are somewhat right. I guess i have been conditioned here to equate cockroaches with uncleanliness.

Would you still ask for a room change and or upgrade? Is that acceptable there? Or do the locals 'just live with them'....?

I wonder though is the cockroach of the Caribbean the same as a cockroach of North America?

Wow @ the six scorpions under the bed.. holy #$%@ i would have freaked out... damn.. .. ... umm damn is all ii can say.. Seeing them outside i could live with that but under or near the bed?!!?

p.s I don't mind lizards and wouldn't really care if i had one in my room, they would just eat the spiders... unless of course that spider was a tarantula. ;)

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cockroaches..... ??? What would you do?

If I am awake, I use a towel to scoot it out of the room. If I was sleeping and heard it scuttling, it gets a squishing.

Having a cockroach in your room is not indicative of the place being unclean, etc. They just get into the odd room sometimes. I have only had one in my room twice. I dont like them, but its not a huge deal.

Gatineau, Québec
Level Contributor
308 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cockroaches..... ??? What would you do?

I agree with the other posts, cockroaches are normal in a tropical country, not necessarily a sign of uncleanliness, just as mosquitoes, flies and ants are common here. I've had cockroaches in a hut in Tulum (eating my banana I'd saved for breakfast , so I skipped breakfast LOL); on resort grounds in a 4* in Cuba, on my friend's haibrush in her room (did she ever scream loud!) in a 2.5 * , sneeking behind my headboard in Acapulco and skittering over my nightstand in my room in Cuba and many scattering when I opened the bathroom ligh in a Condo in Maui...never really get used to the surprise, but I usually don't drop dead! Funniest I've seen is a crab the size of a tea saucer "walking" towards by bed, and I was on the 2nd floor! Basically, management will not offer to change rooms, as it will not make a difference. TIPS: Don't keep food, or dirty cups, mugs in your room, to be on the safe side. You can also put a towel down under the door of your room to keep critters out and keep your fingers crossed :-)

R

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
99,716 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cockroaches..... ??? What would you do?

I certainly wouldn't ask for a room change just because I'd seen a cockroach. There may well be more in the room you changed to.

Ottawa ON Canada
Level Contributor
436 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cockroaches..... ??? What would you do?

I've seen an assortment of strange looking buggy things in my rooms in Cuba but no cockroaches, yet. So long as they don't bite I don't worry about them.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,475 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cockroaches..... ??? What would you do?

Raphaëlle made a good point about keeping bugs outta your room – never leave any food out, and be careful with crumbs from snacks that may fall on your bed or on the floor. Don’t forget to rinse out any glasses or double-walled stainless-steel drinking vessels before going to bed, ditto for any opened cans of soft drinks.

Waterloo, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cockroaches..... ??? What would you do?

A friend of mine lived in the Tropics for 10 years. After moving back to Canada she just could not break the habit of picking up her shoes and shaking them upside down several times before she'd put them on (scorpion check).