We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for bug bites

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Help for bug bites

Quite by accident,I came across a product that helped me a lot with the sand flea bites I inevitably get in Cuba.

Polysporin has a product called " Itch Relief".Not only did it relieve the itch completely but it cut the recovery time in half.

Now to find something that will prevent them in the first place.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for bug bites

Thanks for that tip. I have never been very satisfied with After Bite, and Polysporin certainly has a long and reputable history so it makes sense their product should perform...

Cheers,

Terry

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for bug bites

floating over the sand always works for me ,,,, but then again i usually have had way to much to drink.. More booze less bites.

that is my theroy and i am sticking to it

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for bug bites

After I became aware of the bite,I applied the stuff and it dried to something like a second skin.It relieved the itch and lasted about 4-5 hours whereupon I washed off the last application and reapplied another.That process lasted for maybe 1 1/2 days,after which 1 application lasted all day.,with another before bed.Didnt lose a single nights sleep from bug bites.

smallworldtra...I have tried your method but I must get all the alcoholic sand fleas.Although I must admit,with this method one does kind of look forward to bug bites.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,305 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for bug bites

I use Boiron's Dapis Gel (used to be called Apigel), I rarely have to apply it more than once or twice.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help for bug bites

I'll check it out! I've never had luck with After Bite either, and Benadry's Itch Stick relieves the itch but does nothing to help them heal. Thanks :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jibacoa
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help for bug bites

Toothpaste also works..just spread it over the bite.

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help for bug bites

Tigers balm

Winnipeg, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Help for bug bites

I have been to Cuba 3 times and every time, after I get home, the bites, or whatever they are, show up! I don't get them while I'm there. They are very itchy and have quite a bit of puss.

southern ontario
Level Contributor
937 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help for bug bites

I use Benadryl.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help for bug bites

i use a product called gencloben. I bought it at the farmacia in the DR a couple of years ago....relieves the itch and speeds up the healing. Also helps with black flies and mosquito bites.. I react badly to all!