We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Okay here we go again....

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
6,202 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Okay here we go again....

I'm flying Cubana again out of Toronto soon, and just like the last time, their baggage allowance information confuses the heck out of me. I've been to their website and it indicates this:

Checked Baggage

The permitted free allowance includes hand and checked baggage and may vary according to the service class you pay:

Tourist Class: 20kg or 30 kg.

In our flights to and from Canada and Spain the free baggage allowances are determined by the piece concept.

The permitted free allowance includes both, checked baggage and hand baggage.

So help me out please...which is it ~ 20kgs total, or 30kgs total? Or something else completely different? What's been your recent experience?

Terry

Cuban Connection Tour
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Cubaoutings
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Nosotros Cubaneamos
Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Mississauga...
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Okay here we go again....

From my knowledge it is 20kg unless you buy the upgraded flight package that includes more leg room and priority boarding, in which case it is 30kg.

This information is for Sunwing flights, possibly the same for Cubana?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Okay here we go again....

Allowance from Toronto to Cuba by Cubana is 46kg per person. That's why so many of us fly Cubana. Don't go by their website.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
6,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Okay here we go again....

Okay sailOrman60 my friend...I'll take your word for it. Thanks. I believe my e-ticket says 23kgs, but they don't make it clear enough that this applies to each of 2 bags in total.

Terry

Renfrew, Canada
Level Contributor
384 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Okay here we go again....

Terry,

I just flew to Camaguey on Cubana on March 24th. 2 bags at 23kgs max each bag, plus 5 kg on my carry on. And yes, they did weigh my carry on.

My e ticket did specify the weight allowance from Toronto, I booked through Hola Sun.

Hope that helps.

Southern Ontario
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Okay here we go again....

Terry, check very carefully with your TA. We booked Hola Sun to Santiago in early October for a flight to Santiago, leaving Toronto on Dec 2 or 3rd (can't remember). Should have been Cubana but when we got the tickets we were surprised to find we were flying Canjet - so we went from the 46 KG each to 20 KG each. It was a bummer - but we managed to travel light.

Please verify that you will be flying Cubana and not an alternate.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Okay here we go again....

yes we just booked an Air Transat holiday and are flying Canjet....not really happy about that but it is the destination not the transportation I was booking.

Walkerton, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Okay here we go again....

I got the following email from Cubana Airlines:

The bagagge permited on this route is 2 pc with 23 kgs , ttl 46 kgs and 5 kgs hand baggagge

Rgrds,

Cubana Airlines

Información al Cliente (CUBANA) <informacion.cliente@cubana.avianet.cu>

St.Jerome, Quebec
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Okay here we go again....

CrazyCanukOnt: Do as TravellingGyp did, email Cubana Airlines (once you have verified you are sure that will be your carrier) and take a copy of their response (as the email TGyp received) with you as proof. Good luck.

Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Okay here we go again....

This is an old thread. Terry flew in May.

Walkerton, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Okay here we go again....

Yes, I saw that. Thanks.

I thought I'd reply anyways for anyone else who does a search and finds it like I did. :-)