We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending Money in Cuba

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spending Money in Cuba

I will be going to Cuba for the first time and have no idea how much spending money I should take.

We plan to spend to 4 nights in Havana and 10 nights AI in Varadero. I not someone who likes going on trips but I do enjoy eating a nice restaurants

Could someone give me an idea of how much I will need to have a good time and not run out of money please.

oh it is me and my wife

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending Money in Cuba

Drinks in Varadero are usually in the 1.50 - 6CUC range, depending on what you order and where you go. Beer is generally 1.50 to 3 CUC, cocktails 3 to 6 CUC.

Good food can be had for a great price - around 5CUC for a full grilled chicken meal up to 18CUC for a lobster dinner. (Casa del Chef in Varadero serves a good full course lobster meal for 14CUC. And I had a fabulous dinner at Casa de Miel in February - pepper steak for 6.50CUC.) If you are just getting a hamburger or a sandwich you can expect to pay about 2CUC.

Havana tends to be a little pricier but I admit I haven't spent a lot of time there so I certainly don't know "all the best places".

A cab in Varadero will vary, depending on how far away from the downtown core you are staying. If you are close to the downtown core (62nd street or so) it will cost you 5 to 7 CUC for a cab ride to 12th street. If you are further out on the peninsula, expect to pay 12 or 15CUC for a cab to go the same distance. Plus, if you are staying in the downtown area you can easily walk to a good restaurant or pub and skip the cab fare altogether.

2. Re: Spending Money in Cuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 11:17