We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of cell phone in Cuba

Sarnia, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of cell phone in Cuba

How much does a cell phone cost to purchase in Cuba?

Where does one purchase one?

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Old Havana
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
El Malecon
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,467 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of cell phone in Cuba

There are a variety of phones available at the Cubacel outlets with a price range from around $60 to much more but if I remember right you could buy a decent phone for $80. No bells and whistles but a functioning phone.

Then of course there would the black market where just about every phone ever made is availabl , including the new Galaxcy 3 . LOL

LENNY

Sarnia, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of cell phone in Cuba

Hey, Lenny, thanks for your response. In your estimation, would I be better off purchasing a cheap new phone here and taking it down there? Don't need one with all the bells and whisltes, just text messaging ability so I can keep in touch with family when landlines or computers are down.

Not interested in black market activity in this instance.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,467 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of cell phone in Cuba

If you go to any flea market in Ont you can purchase a good used phone cheap or better yet someone you know probably has an old phone that they have upgraded for FREE.

If it's an older phone it needs to be preferably an unlocked Rogers 900mhz

I always take at least 1 phone with me as I get them for next to nothing.

LENNY

Sarnia, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of cell phone in Cuba

OK, thanks, Lenny.

Then do we just go to the ETESCA office to get it hooked up? Excuse my ignorance but I am totally tehnologically ignorant about these things

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,467 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of cell phone in Cuba

Ya they don't even need the phone , you just go in and do the paperwork pay the $40 and get a sim card.

LENNY

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,897 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of cell phone in Cuba

Good advice Lenny.

Note the 40CUC deal (available to Cyban carnet holders) includes 10CUC of calls.

For all phone line charges you can also look here

http://www.etecsa.cu/index.php?page=inicio

united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of cell phone in Cuba

Hi I am travelling to cuba at end of september..please can you give me advice

on how to get a sim card from above web site or cuba cell .I only need a sim for 14 days.is this now possible without having to pay the ectra 3 cuc per day and having to pay for a month...thanks in advance for any advice....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,897 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of cell phone in Cuba

Unless you know/meet a Cuban who is in a position to obtain the 40CUC deal for you then either you pay the foreigner daily rate or pay global roaming or plan from another country.

Or do without! What's 14 days without a phone?!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
102,981 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of cell phone in Cuba

I was lucky when a Cuban friend of mine obtained my Cuban sim card. The deal at the time was for 30 CUC's you received the card and also 30 CUC's of calling credit so in effect the card was free.

jimvin1:

In your case Fidel has described your options exactly. Here is the translation from Cubacel's website:

Price:

Permanent contract (period longer than six months, for individuals residing in the country) activation fee: 30.00 CUC + 10.00 CUC recharge.

Temporary contract (45 calendar days period extended to visitors): 3.00 CUC daily rental + 6.00 CUC equipment rental (optional).

united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of cell phone in Cuba

Its a Shame but I dont need a phone that bad......Thank you very much for your answers/ advice