We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayo Coco or Varadero??

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Cayo Coco or Varadero??

Hello!

Headed to either Cayo Coco or Varadero Jan 2013, any advice on which location is better?

Advice is appreciated on things to do and see etc!

Thinking Melia Cayo coco or Melia in varadero

Thanks!

Also would love to meet some people there if your headed there =)

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayo Coco or Varadero??

Have you been to Cuba before?

Did you plan to Visit Havana?

Did you know that Cayo Coco is strictly a tourist zone that is connected to mainland Cuba?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayo Coco or Varadero??

Hi!

It's our first time to Cuba,

We were thinking about visiting Havana.......

I had no idea about cayo coco being a tourist zone, what exactly does that mean?

Thanks !

=)

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayo Coco or Varadero??

ok here we go Vardero is resort after resort and you about 2 hours from Havana. you can get into Vardero and there is a night life by cab or the hop on hop off bus .. think Cancun Mexico.... there is something like 48 resorts ( I think)

Cayo coco is very secluded, there are no small town that you would want to spend some time at night very close... your night life will be the resort.

Havana is either a plane ride or a very long bus ride and is an over night trip .

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,552 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cayo Coco or Varadero??

1.) Varadero is the largest tourist enclave on the entire island with dozens and dozens and dozens of resorts spread along a 20+ km stretch of beach with a plethora of off-resort bars, nightclubs, restaurants, etc. servicing the millions of tourists that visit this part of Cuba. There is also private bed & breakfast style lodging available. Havana with 2,000,000+ residents and 500+ years of history is a couple of hours away.

2.) Cayo Coco is a small island off the north coast, absolutely beautiful, with a handful of all-inclusive resorts. There are no Cubans living there. Until fairly recently they weren't even allowed to visit.

Apples and oranges.

Cheers,

Terry

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cayo Coco or Varadero??

Cayo Coco is an Island that is connected to mainland Cuba by a long causeway.,apart from the resorts and some lovely beaches ,that is pretty much it.., no villages,towns etc. Your pretty much isolated.

Varadero is a very vibrant town that has some shopping, ( although nothing great ), outdoor markets , sidewalk cafés,restaurants, night clubs,close proximity to the towns of Cardenas, Montanzas, and Havana..,plenty to do off of your resort..,and it's situated on an amazing stretch of beach.( IMO I wouldn't compare it to Cancun at all )

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cayo Coco or Varadero??

If you want a party atmosphere, go to Varadero. If you want a chill out feel,go to Cayo Coco.

I met a guy at the Tryp Cayo Coco once and he was literally going bonkers!

A Single traveler who did not know, before hand, where he was going. He was desperately trying to arrange an escape off the island to another resort.

Nice to see you are researching in advance.

Makes a Huge difference!

Enjoy Cuba!

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
8 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cayo Coco or Varadero??

Wondering which did you choose? Varadero or Cayo Coco? I am now in the same dilemma as you were last year. I was also looking at staying at the Melia and I'm wondering if you stayed there and what your thoughts were on that hotel.

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,552 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cayo Coco or Varadero??

Drbains... how can there be a "dilemma" between choosing between Cayo Coco and Varadero? The HUGE difference between the two locations has been stated very clearly above. They couldn't be more opposite.

Surely your interests and likes/dislikes in an all-inclusive resort vacation easily make the decision for you, no?

Cheers,

Terry

hfx
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cayo Coco or Varadero??

Looks like the OP went to Sol Cayo Guillermo, but no review. Since this thread was started a year ago, maybe try to send the OP a message, they were recently on Trip Advisor.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12,933 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cayo Coco or Varadero??

And the OP has since been posting on the Dominican Republic forum.