We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

why could the Canadians not let them win for a change?

Level Contributor
605 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
why could the Canadians not let them win for a change?

You meanies!!!

You even beat them with no substitute.

winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/…

Nasty nasties.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: why could the Canadians not let them win for a change?

lol

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,326 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: why could the Canadians not let them win for a change?

Looks like a few of them may be wanting to stay in Canada. Maybe they will join the Canadian squad. LOL!

It was a very cool evening in Toronto. Perhaps the Cuban team was in shock.

I love Cuba but it would be great to see Canada inch closer to a World Cup appearance.

montreal
Level Contributor
10,218 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: why could the Canadians not let them win for a change?

Because thats about who we can beat as to get to the World Cup we will have to face better teams like the USA and Mexico if we advance from this group and we know whats going to happen once again as our soccer program is not worth much and it has been this way for years .

By the way i feel for the Cuban team as heck some of these guys are just waiting to play these away games so they can defect like these 4 new guys just did .....

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,023 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: why could the Canadians not let them win for a change?

Football is more popular in Cuba than in Canada I would guess. Just a pity these guys do not have the facilities. I went to a match in Banes where Holguin were playing Ciego de Avila a few years back and the ground was full.

Sarnia, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: why could the Canadians not let them win for a change?

You are 100% correct, Bellagio. My friend, the coach of the provincial soccer team in Holguin, is always asking for soccer boots, socks, and shin pads, along with balls. The kids soccer team in Banes and Gibara are wearing complete uniforms from Canada. The field they play on is like a cattle pasture, and many suffer from sprained ankles. Now the young men in Gibara have completely cleaned out the former food storage terminal whos roof has still not been repaired since Ike. They sweep it ever day and play indoor soccer- and at 16 years of age, they play better than many on the Canadian mens side!

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: why could the Canadians not let them win for a change?

I wonder if any of the 'missing' are also baseball players?

montreal
Level Contributor
10,218 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: why could the Canadians not let them win for a change?

Bellagio Football is getting more and more popular in Canada as you will probably be surprise more kids play soccer or should i say Football then Hockey as Cuba is more of a Baseball country then Football .

Montreal has a team on MLS and when the LA Galaxy with David Beckham came to Montreal they had a crowd over 60.000 to watch the game so i guess we know our football in Montreal lol ....

Only thing missing in this country is they will have to bring out a man that will take care of the program in Canada problem is they don't want to pay up and this is what you get as a result year after year ...

Candy i know you love Cuba but please lets not compare soccer in Cuba with Canada as maybe we are bad but Cuba is 2 times worst as we are ranked No. 61 in the world and Cuba well 146th as i bet if those kids were as good as you say they probably should take them to the mens team ...

Level Contributor
605 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: why could the Canadians not let them win for a change?

They think it's all over, well it is now!!!

We had a school playground match last night, half of our team should have done a runner as well.

It is sad that the remaining players from Cuba who wanted to play for their country had to do so without the possibility of a rest/swap.

Still think you are meanies.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: why could the Canadians not let them win for a change?

It's an absolute shame that 3 of the Cuban players disappeared before the game and haven't been heard of since; it's safe to assume they're trying to slip into the US right now, if they haven't already.

Same thing happens almost every time Cuba sends an athletic team or large cultural group abroad... it's a very sad state of affairs...

Cheers,

Terry

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,023 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: why could the Canadians not let them win for a change?

I didn't hear of any of the Cuban Olympic team defecting to the UK during the Olympics. They aren't that stupid. lol