We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exit Visa - FYI

Sarnia, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Exit Visa - FYI

The Cuban government is announcing that it will eliminate its exit visa requirement beginning next year.

A notice in Granma says Cubans will also no longer have to present a letter of invitation to travel abroad.

The measure takes effect Jan. 13.

Granma said early Tuesday that as of that date, Cubans will only have to show their passport and a visa from the country they are travelling to.

The exit visa is a much-loathed requirement that has been a significant hurdle to travelling overseas for many islanders

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exit Visa - FYI

Excellent news Candy. Here is the link to the Granma article:

granma.cu/ingles/cuba-i/16-octubre-migration…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,692 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exit Visa - FYI

It's about time. This has been rumoured for quite a while now and it'll be great to have this loathsome bit of bureaucracy bite the dust finally.

I don't agree with the articles statement that it was a significant hurdle though... that prize goes to acquiring an entrance visa to anywhere...

Cheers,

Terry

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exit Visa - FYI

Very welcome news for those of us with Cuban friends and family who will no longer have to jump through these hoops to travel to another country.

However I agree with Terry that of course the most difficult impediment for Cubans to travel will remain the difficulty associated in gaining a visa TO another country.

This is the actual 31 page gazetted regulation

http://www.granma.cu/LEY-DE-MIGRACION.pdf

Sarnia, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exit Visa - FYI

And the cost. And the hassle, or some cases, the impossibility of going to Havana over and over again, and then having immigration officials not make their appointment and having to rebook.

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,635 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exit Visa - FYI

thats very good news,

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Exit Visa - FYI

Yes, that's great news! Thanks for posting this candysita2. But does anyone know what is meant by the tid-bit below mentioned in the article?

"The ordinary passport will be issued to the Cuban citizens who meet the requirements of the Migration Law, as modified in compliance with these provisions."

What requirements does a Cuban have to meet to be granted an ordinary passport? Perhaps that's a whole different issue, but very relevant now considering the new provisions.

Terry

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
101,994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exit Visa - FYI

I wondered about that too, Terry. Al;so the paragraph saying:

Those already in possession of an ordinary passport, issued before this decision is valid, should request from the corresponding authorities of the Ministry of the Interior its updating absolutely free of charge.

So it would appear that you can't just travel on a Cuban passport in it's current form, it needs updating in some way.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,863 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Exit Visa - FYI

Article 23 might shed some light on who may have less facility in getting a passport: “ - Carecer de la autorización establecida, en virtud de las normas dirigidas a preservar la fuerza de trabajo

calificada para el desarrollo económico, social y científico-técnico del país, así como para la seguri- dad y protección de la información oficial.”

(Basically that Cuba may restrict professionals from leaving in order to prevent a brain-drain.)

It will take a Philadelphia lawyer too understand all of the provisions.

Sounds like a set-up for another “Mariel boatlift” – an opportunity to get the unproductive people out.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Exit Visa - FYI

Right bellagio. That's just as puzzling too. But I have a friend who will soon be applying for an ordinary passport, and I'm wondering what things might now get in the way of the passport successfully being approved for them. It's the bit..."who meet the requirements of the Migration Law"...that has me concerned. What requirements are they talking about?

Terry

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
101,994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exit Visa - FYI

I have just texted my friend in Cuba and asked her to investigate. I'm assuming it's in today's issue of Granma.