We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to take to help post-Sandy

Sarnia, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
What to take to help post-Sandy

First off, this post is not meant to generate a flurry of responses on "gifting". It is an answer to several PM's from people wondering what to take to assist those affected by Sandy

Tarps, rope, duct tape, light warm fleece blankets, heavy green garbage bags, dried lentils, chick peas, dried fruit, spoons, candles, boxes of matches, small stuffed toys for the kids ( parents were overjoyed to receive these post ike because it provided traumatized children with a little diversion), ozonol.

These things I found to be most needed a week after Ike.

Bear River, Canada
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: What to take to help post-Sandy

I had a discussion last night on one of the resort facebook pages with people who want to fill their suitcases with items to take to hand out the next time they go on their A.I. vacation. I tried to explain that suitcases of items that exceed personal use may be confiscated by customs before they even get out of the airport, which they do not believe will happen in this instance because they are doing it for humanitarian reasons. Also gave my two cents worth that these items they give to resort workers will not get to those far removed from resort areas that truly need them. My opinion is that the best thing any of us that are not in Cuba at this time can do is donate to International Red Cross, The Dubois Foundation or other like charities that will get things to the areas that most urgently need them. Every time they go to Cuba they bring bags of things to hand out to everyone they meet, so no matter what anyone says, they will do the same this time. Good intentions are not always the right ones, if that makes any sense. I guess we can only do what we feel is the best thing to do in the long run. Me, I will use charitable organization and believe that it will go to an area that it is needed.

By the way Mad, thanks for saving and reposting DT's post. A great post by a wise man.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: What to take to help post-Sandy

Thanks from me too Mad. I posted this website the other day should anyone want to help in a meaninful way, although this article is from Aug 2012 I am sure they are involved in this disaster as well. .

ifrc.org/en/…

43. Re: What to take to help post-Sandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2013, 09:16