We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do TSA guidelines apply to travel to Cuba from the US?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Do TSA guidelines apply to travel to Cuba from the US?

I'm visiting family in Havana and would like to take them some regular household items. Do I have to follow TSA restrictions, like the 3-1-1 liquid restriction, for example?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do TSA guidelines apply to travel to Cuba from the US?

TSA controls all flights departing from the US so yes, the 3-1-1 rule applies - but what does that have to do with household items for your family? Pack the liquids in your checked luggage, same as you would on any flight. No worries.

Cheers,

Terry

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do TSA guidelines apply to travel to Cuba from the US?

Maybe it was dated info, but I recently read about items that can be taken to family, and some of the items were not in compliance with TSA guidelines. For example, bottles of shampoo -- I don't think I have the patience to transfer that into 3.4-oz. containers.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do TSA guidelines apply to travel to Cuba from the US?

I still don't get why you'd want bottles of shampoo in your carry-on... Why not simply fill up your checked luggage? Easy and no hassle.

And stuff like shampoo is easily available right in Havana...

Cheers,

Terry

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do TSA guidelines apply to travel to Cuba from the US?

Oh, my. Color me embarrassed! I'm so programmed to only fly with carry-on luggage, I wasn't even considering the possibility of checking it in! Please disregard my original post. I wish I could delete it.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do TSA guidelines apply to travel to Cuba from the US?

Hahaha... gotcha!

No worries, if that's the dumbest thing you ever post you're still smarter than most of us here, me included.

You can delete the Original Post only, but not the thread. That said, I'm not going to tell you how. Be proud!

Thanks for the chuckles. Have a great trip.

Cheers,

Terry

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
6. Re: Do TSA guidelines apply to travel to Cuba from the US?

To Fef875, (and Martian24)

Actually our system has been updated recently. The author of the original topic message can delete the entire topic, when they click on the Report Inappropriate Content link at the bottom of the Topic Message, and choose Remove My Post.

Fef875, I will let you test that option and notice how quickly the topic disappears.

Regards,

TA-Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,850 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do TSA guidelines apply to travel to Cuba from the US?

TA_Jane:

Thanks for telling us about this change.

8. Re: Do TSA guidelines apply to travel to Cuba from the US?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 November 2012, 21:35
9. Re: Do TSA guidelines apply to travel to Cuba from the US?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 22:15