We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Name a solid 3* (or less) in Cuba at affordable price

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Name a solid 3* (or less) in Cuba at affordable price

Hi,

Looking to try out new parts of Cuba or even the same parts I've already been to but in cheaper accommodations than 4*. What is important to me is that the hotel has a clean pool and decent food selection and quality, clean room, and at least some warm water, enough to be able to take a comfortable shower.

I am not looking for casas particulares in this thread, I have stayed at many of those too and love them but this is not what I'm looking for here...

Know of a nice gem out there? Please share!!!

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Name a solid 3* (or less) in Cuba at affordable price

Caracol, Santa Lucia. :-)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Name a solid 3* (or less) in Cuba at affordable price

eeeefarm, I am tryin to look it up but on Tripcentral I see it as Caracol Hoteles C? And on Trip Advisor as Club Amigo Caracol... Is that the one and the same?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Name a solid 3* (or less) in Cuba at affordable price

It's the same property, Their are technically 4 properties in the area.

Yarmouth Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Name a solid 3* (or less) in Cuba at affordable price

My favorite 3 star resort is Cameleon Villas Jibacoa...people who like it like it alot!

Yarmouth Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Name a solid 3* (or less) in Cuba at affordable price

another 3 star to consider is Club Amigo Guardalavaca...Villas section.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,609 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Name a solid 3* (or less) in Cuba at affordable price

Costasur (Bungalows on beach) near Trinidad

Farallon near Manzanillo

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Name a solid 3* (or less) in Cuba at affordable price

What about Don Lino in Holguin and Los Delphines in Varadero? Anyone tried these and like them, I've been eyeing them for a while...

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,853 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Name a solid 3* (or less) in Cuba at affordable price

If you are at all interested in Varadero, check out Las Morlas. Although it is marketed as a 4*, it is really a solid 3*. Small (about 140 rooms) right on the beach, good food, quiet. Walking distance to town. A week in March from Taranna starts at $645.

It might not be big but it’s small.

Edited: 13 February 2013, 18:35
Yarmouth Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Name a solid 3* (or less) in Cuba at affordable price

I haven't stayed at Don Lino but I took a scooter ride over to check it out and it looked small and laid back but that was before the new units were added...The downside of Don Lino for me would be the distance from Guardalavaca...there are no transportation options to go anywhere except by taxi and they don't have scooter rentals to my knowledge..Even for excursions you have to pay for a taxi to go to another hotel for pickup. Also the beach is small and most people say you need watershoes.

I would still consider it if I only wanted to stay around the resort.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Name a solid 3* (or less) in Cuba at affordable price

Thanks Hossafus! I don't mind too much about the distances to towns, taxis are fine by me. Some trips I like to be directly in towns, hence why I choose casas, other trips I like to be more removed, hence resorts. :)

Although it is nice to be able to have a town close by to go to a private restaurant once in a while or just to check out the town and mingle and maybe go out dancing or just people watch while enjoying a good drink with good music. :)

This is great stuff... Keep the suggestions coming!